Dive Travel Poll

When will you start traveling to go diving?

• Within the next six months.

Votes: 72 47.7%
  • 6 months - 1 year

Votes: 57 37.7%
  • Beyond 1 year

Votes: 22 14.6%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bali, all of October and November if we get a return to business as usual.

I might just end up with an entire dive center and hotel all to myself.

I'll take my chances with the 'rona maybe eat some hippy crap to boost my immune system, or something.

I could go diving locally, but damn that water's cold...and I'm a wuss.

Bali, all of October and November if we get a return to business as usual.

I might just end up with an entire dive center and hotel all to myself.

I'll take my chances with the 'rona maybe eat some hippy crap to boost my immune system, or something.

I could go diving locally, but damn that water's cold...and I'm a wuss.

Probably we will diving by private boat only when we are allowed to open again. We used to do that most of the time anyway already. The crew and (private) guide could keep a proper distance in this way. We will put at plexiglass screen in our car for the transfers. And if prefered we will serve the meals at the terrace of the private bungalow.

I've been trying to envision how the operation(s) I dive with or have been diving with would function with these new guidelines in place and found myself wondering how it would be possible in the dive school environments that I most familiar with. I suspect things wouldn't be quite as complicated in a resort environment, an environment where most people bring their own gear, to raise one issue.

I do travel with my own gear but, by and large, most people I end up diving with are using shop gear and I'm wondering how that would work. Another is the typically crowed van ( or boat ). In Bali all the seats in the van were filled with the divemasters sitting in the back cargo area for the Amed-Tulamben trip. I suppose a workaround for that would be for the shop to strictly dive Amed and if I wanted to dive Tulamben, then I'd have to move up there. Which I'd do.

Without a "return to normal" I'm wondering whether these type of operations would be able to survive.

For now, I'll just have to cross my fingers and watch Sea of Creepy Monsters over and over.

The many folks that are taking the "we're smarter than science" approach are going to be sorely missed.

The many folks that are taking the "we're smarter than science" approach are going to be sorely missed.

It's not so much a smarter than science approach, it's more one of tolerable risk.

I was lucky enough to go on a dive trip in 2020, before the virus spreading, Raja Ampat Jan 2020 Trip Report. I think everyone in that trip was fine, even those who came back home in mid February.

So far I only cancelled a ski trip to Salt Lake City in March and rescheduled a dive trip to French Polynesia in May to October. Still have not rescheduled a dive trip to Guadalupe, Mexico in end of July.

If the travel is opening up from July and on and I don't get knock out by this virus (knock on wood), I'll have a dive trip in every month in 2nd half of 2020:
July - Guadalupe, Mexico
August - Jupiter, Florida
September - Cocos, Costa Rica
October - French Polynesia
November - Tiger Beach, Bahamas
December - Raja Ampat, Indonesia

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom