Dive the Red Sea or Indonesia (Raja Amput)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just learned of lunar patterns’ effect on currents. All I’ve been able to gather is that currents are stronger during new and full moons, and that lunar cycles are destination dependent. While currents are stronger, marine life could also be more. Is there any more to this or is that pretty much it?

I think I’m screwed because I booked my Raja Ampat trip smack on a new moon week.

. . . Basically, the profiles were “when you get to the current, turn around and go back towards the boat…”

I'm sure that it being the same boat we received the same briefing you did, more or less. Turning around was one option given. But some divers decided to power their way through, until the current abated or they gave up and surfaced. Different people turned around at different times or otherwise decided to handle the current differently, resulting in the group fragmenting. I see that the OP decided on RA, so it's moot in this case, but divers who are uncomfortable with deciding on-the-fly at what point to turn back--maybe before the DM does--may want to look into how the currents are affected by the season or lunar phase or whatever before choosing this itinerary.

As I think someone mentioned, the conundrum for us divers is that healthy current is what the marine life likes, as it carries the nutrients. Places with still water are rarely teeming with marine life.

When I was at Elphinstone, we dove the SW and SE sides… There is a small shallow shelf on the SE side, then you can scuba to the NE side. There was a semi strong current. I chose to hang out on the edge of the NE point, just to where the current was coming through, but not hitting me in hopes I’d see one of my hammerhead or thresher buddies… I did not have the desire to fight currents and burn air or energy so I turned around and went back around the SE and south shores where I could veg out… In the majority of cases, you have a choice to dive with the currents or away from them, just my experience.

Additionally, I also led my own dives at least twice… It’s not hard… Boat is moored, island is small. Great way toi avoid a big crowd and enjoy a self guided self paced dive.

1. Find a marker on the surface
2. Dive in and head down
3. scuba from boat to the reef noting the mooring rope and a compass heading
4. When you get to the reef, turn right or left
5. Keep the reef to your right/left until you hit 2000 psi
6. Turn around to go back in the opposite direction and keep the reef to your left/right until you hit 1000 psi
7. Look for your marker, the mooring rope potentially
8. Swim the opposite compass heading from the one you used to get from the boat to the reef
9. Safety stop 3 min @ 15 ft
10. Surface at the boat

Note: We did have a dive where they moved the boat, and the dinghys came and got us :)

I think I’m screwed because I booked my Raja Ampat trip smack on a new moon week.

nope its a good time to go for marine life, just bring a reef hook and be prepared for possible negative descents. Your dive team should check current direction before you enter the water to ensure you are being dropped at the correct spot. if currents are running you should be dropped up current to ensure you drift back onto the reef to be in the sweet spot for fish action. Get down quickly!
Sites such as Magic Mountain, Blue Magic, Four Kings and No Contest are all seamounts/ submerged pinnacles so are really the only tricky ones where you may get blown off / over the reef if the current is misjudged. Other than that there is usually a sheltered side to enjoy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom