Dive tables...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

avengerki, Re your actual question of whether not knowing tables would affect future courses I don't know (tend to agree that it wouldn't). For confirmation just ask at your LDS and contact SSI. As far as whether tables knowledge is worthwhile: I use computer (dives below 30-40') and tables, depth gauge and watch (all dives). This may be the most often discussed topic ever on SB. Some say tables are something all should know, some totally disagree and that's not likely to change for at least a few years. Doing a SB search would probably reveal the same opinions that will come here, and MANY times over.

Maybe someone can explain when a dive table actually failed on them? I love computers and I have two of them when I dive. But, I know that at some point they will fail, whereas a dive table will not.

Of course a dive table will never fail on anyone but what do you think the chances are that both of your dive computers are going to fail on the same dive. I have been diving computers since 91 and have never had one fail during a dive or otherwise. I think the chances of both your computers failing at the same time is pretty much nill.

When the apocyalpse comes and batteries are hard to find I want to now I can still go diving safely.

Simple fix to this possibility. The battery for my Sherwood Wisdom is about $3 I think it is. I always carry an extra battery on a dive trip. Then just before my first trip of the new year, I replace the current battery with the back-up one and buy a new back-up.

For the students of diving, it's good to know dive tables. For those that do it once a year or once every other year, what's the big deal? Really?

So I took an SSI open diver course and in it we didn't really cover dive tables as it isn't really in the curriculum anymore. We did spend about 5 minutes on them and I don't really have any issue reading and using them but will that cause any problems in future classes?

Your course may not have "covered dive tables" but it SHOULD have given you some background on DECOMPRESSION STRESS.

Hard tables are just another way for OW divers to calculate what's called decompression obligation. A PDC (personal dive computer) does a better job of that task... at your level. Should you decide to go on to programs such as intro to tech, you'll get the info you need to stay safe.

I would recommend Deco for Divers by Mark Powell (Amazon) for research.

For me, the only thing to be concerned about when only using a computer is when it says you have 31 minutes bottom time remaining it means it. Even on a square profile one level dive you are not always at your max depth. Even a shell collector like me, who is almost always at the bottom, is probably 1-3 feet off the bottom, so my avg. depth on an 80' dive may really be 78'. That doesn't include swimming over the wreck to the other side, or spending a bit of time 10' shallower on the deck.

WOW! When I took my SEI Open Water Course, we spend an entire Classroom session on Dive tables... and had about 6 question on the Open Water Final Exam the required the use of Dive tables.

It was the same for me with PADI years ago. Then I took Nitrox--same LDS-- and 2 of the 5 of us needed serious Air tables review. But that's another thread.

I learned tables when I got certified with SSI in 2005 and still compare tables to my computer. I just completed Deep and Nitrox with the PADI shop I dive with. I learned to use Nitrox tables and how to manually calculate the nitrox I need for the dive instead of depending on tables.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom