Dive Stores in NYC and SF?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alanw

Registered
Reaction score
Hi All,

I will be taking my first trip to the US in May (Non diving) and will be spending time in both New York and San Francisco. I would appreciate it if anyone could recommend good dive equipment stores in either of these cities. I am looking for a good dive light and any other nik-naks that may catch my eye.
Thanks in anticipation.

Alan

Leisurepro.com's retail location is in NYC from what I understand. Can't get a whole lot better than that.

NYC's Leisure Pro will have a more varied & competitively priced selection than any comparable dive store in the San Francisco Bay Area. I know as I was in SF last summer trying to find a decent backup cave light. Wasn't too easy in San Francisco itself. I needed to drive out to the East Bay of the Bay area!

If you plan to do diving in the San Francisco Bay area diving drive south towards Monterey. The area shops there will have a wider selection of dive gear, plus Monterey/Carmel offers outstanding scenery & diving. NY is terrific for wreck diving depending on where you want to go. NYC offers wreck diving charters & upstate NY @ the Thousand Islands/Canadian border is spectacular.

I'll put in another word for the Leisurepro store. First, you'll be able to check what they have on-line and then get to touch it in person. They have a great selection and great prices.

LeisurePro is on 18th street, between 5th and 6th avenues, upstairs from Adorama Camera (also a great place to shop). Take the little elevator up to the 3rd floor. Its showroom may disappoint you; it's not very impressive. But if you have specific things you'd like to see, they will trot them out for you. They come up the dumbwaiter in the rear. You may want to call ahead to make sure they have an item on hand, but they've always been able to bring out inventory for me with no notice.

PanAqua is on 43rd street, just off 10th avenue. It would be the place to go if you wanted, say, an Atomic regulator with a custom hose, but it's prices are not competitive with LeisurePro's. It is a good shop though.

Thanks for the info guys. I am really looking forward to my trip. Just a pity I won't be doing any diving in that neck of the woods.:D

Back
Top Bottom