dive stick or tickle stick or reef stick

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just make my own:
1/4"-5/16" aluminum rod stock from Home Depot,
A female threaded wing knob with a brass insert from Amazon.
20190307_122739.jpg

Tap the rod end. Thread on the knob with a drop of Loctite. Cut to length. Sand the end. Bingo.

There are videos of people standing in one meter of water and grabbing lobsters. I see lots of lobsters in Southern California in less than two meters.

You are lucky... here it’s very uncommon to see lobsters in low water, even in the natural reserves

The spiny lobsters in California do not have claws, so it would really be an unfair fight if we were allowed to use tickle sticks or nets, although they do in Florida.
33589836316_47c12e5f6e_b.jpg

43421590534_62b8d6c2c0_b.jpg

Yes but you’re obviously not going to point it in their eyes whether that’s divers or fish!
Divers maybe, but fish? I wouldn't count on that!

Seeing this late, but.
KEVLAR GLOVES.
Used to be damned hard to find, but you can find them in any hardware store these days, or online, for about $5 the pair. They look like a dirty yellow version of the standard brown gardening gloves, and they're commonly sold for "trash handling" because they prevent glass and metal cuts. The same simple gloves (online even cheaper by the dozen) also mean you can touch things like coral or rusty metal, without any great fear of getting cut.
Kevlar does shrink a bit when wet--it isn't like nylon--so you'd want to make sure of the fit being adequate when dry.

FWIW.

Divers maybe, but fish? I wouldn't count on that!
So you’re suggesting that you’d rather have divers waving poles around the place at fish underwater that they can use to damage the marine environment rather than a compact laser? And all of that because you think divers will point it directly in fish’ eyes? What makes you think that people won’t dig up reefs with poles?

Ridiculous!

Back
Top Bottom