Dive spots in Baja?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rjpv

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey guys,

Anyone know what (if any) the nice dive spots / shops are in the Baja area of Mexico? I've been diving in southern California and Baja is close enough that I thought I'd investigate the diving :wink:

rjpv:
Hey guys,

Anyone know what (if any) the nice dive spots / shops are in the Baja area of Mexico? I've been diving in southern California and Baja is close enough that I thought I'd investigate the diving :wink:

La Paz & Cabo San Lucas are probably the most developed dive destinations.

Never dived (dove?) La Paz, but I hear the diving is excellent, though boat rides can be longer.

From Cabo San Lucas, typical boat ride is 5 minute to the dive site.

Do a search in this forum for "Cabo" and see what sorts of hits you get :D

I dive La Paz a lot. www.cortezclub.com gold star PADI. Nice dives. Too many to tell you about. look at their website. or Club Cantamar. They both are good.

Just dove Cabo Pulmo. Huge fish and several huge "swarms" of jacks, grunts, stripers and bat rays. You can get face to face to the big guys there. Oh, did I mention the 10 Bull sharks that were waiting for us when we descended? I didn't dive with anyone in Cabo and if you go with one of the dive outfits there that take you to Cabo Pulmo, you will be in cattle pangas. We drove to Cabo Pulmo instead and dove with Pepe's dive shop.
Amigos del mar in Cabo is easy to find and park if you want a shop there there. Also met the people at Baja Dive Center. Both at the Marina, but on either side of the marina.
Didn't make it to the sea mount of Gorda Banks this time, but If you want a sea mount with hammerheads try it of "El Bajo" from La Paz. Cabo Pulmo has a great reef dive also called "El Bajo"
Hope this helps.

diveprn:
...dove with Pepe's dive shop...

How were the business arrangements, and who's running that shop these days? I first had very good experiences with Pepe's, but then it seemed to fall apart when Pepe himself got busy with an aquarium project elsewhere. I was quite disappointed in August 2005 when I tried to work with them. His wife took it over in fall of 2005, but then the shop was referring divers to other shops. So what's their latest business status?

Interesting news about the sharks; isn't it unusual that 10 bull sharks were at Cabo Pulmo, or is it more unusual that there haven't been any there for the past few years? And that's a good report about the big critters at Cabo Pulmo, which are the highlights for me.

--Wayne

Hi,
I contacted Pepe's via email and told them the days I would be there.
I didn't see Pepe until the third day. He said that there have been Bull sharks as well as Tiger? sharks lately. Check out his dive report for 06/03.
As soon as we descended, there were 3 then 4 and they came toward us so the DM told us to get back in the Panga and he and a newer DM and one diver went under and after about 3 minutes they came back and said "get us in the boat". The DM said ten BS were swimming circles around them and were closing in.
After everyone was in the Panga, 7 counting 2 DM, (One from Pepe's with 3 in my group and one from Cabo Pulmo Resort with her 2.)
They sharks stayed with us and swam around us. I tried to get a topside photo, but couldn't AND of course I didn't have my UW camera.

I think they were there because there were several fishing boats out a ways and they wanted fish! I have dove around BS before, but they usually look us over and then take off. It scared the DM that has been diving there for awhile.
Regarding Pepe's, one the first day Ricardo drove the boat and my DM was Ana from CP Resort. They share DM and I think Pangas.

I loved diving CP. I usually dive La Paz & I have never seen any sharks except Hammerheads at El Bajo. Because of the Aero Calif airline problems, I swiched to Los Cabos. I didn't dive in Cabo & I missed Gorda Banks.

The day we saw the sharks, there was a very large group from Amigo's Del Mar there also. Perhaps they could tell you more. I can hardly wait to go back with my UW camera.

papps953:
Has anyone dived with Underwater Diversions in Cabo?
I haven't, but my LDS swears by them as do many others on this board. I was going to dive with them in September, but they didn't get back to me quickly enough, so I went with Manta.

Closer to home, there's some diving in La Bufadora ... just south of Ensenada. There's an ex-pat named Dale that runs a little camp and dive operation there.

http://www.labufadoradive.com/

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom