Dive skins...a question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hemlon

Contributor
Reaction score
One of my dive friends claims that wearing a dive skin under a wetsuit increases the thermal protection of the wetsuit.

While she admits that a dive skin worn alone does not provide any thermal protection, she claims that the dive skin worn under the wetsuit slows the water exchange more than just the wetsuit alone.

Is there any truth to this?

I know it's not the case with my wet suit - skin in. I doubt it's the case with lined suits either.

Yes, I sometimes wear a skin under my 3mm to add a bit more warmth. It's like using several blankets on a cold night. Your body warms the water and it takes that much more time to dissipate through each layer. Don't get me wrong though, it's not a significant difference, but it's better than being cold on the 3rd dive.

A proper fitting wetsuit increases thermal protrection. The less water that can get in the warmer you will be. Try a suit with an integrated hood and you wil find it makes a big difference. Most water comes in down your neck when you turn your head. Just wear a thicker one if you want more thermal protection.

I agree with Shawn. Sounds more like her wetsuit is a bit too big and the skin is filling in. I don't think there is much warmth to be gained by wearing a skin under the suit.

I have, however, worn a 2mm vest over my 3mm and gained a lot of warmth.

TOM

Shawn95:
A proper fitting wetsuit increases thermal protrection. The less water that can get in the warmer you will be. Try a suit with an integrated hood and you wil find it makes a big difference. Most water comes in down your neck when you turn your head. Just wear a thicker one if you want more thermal protection.

Please read my original post again for clarification regarding the intended question.
:)

REII:
I agree with Shawn. Sounds more like her wetsuit is a bit too big and the skin is filling in. I don't think there is much warmth to be gained by wearing a skin under the suit.

I have, however, worn a 2mm vest over my 3mm and gained a lot of warmth.

TOM

This is NOT a question regarding HER suit. It is purely theoretical.

Walter:
She's mistaken. Dive skins are useless.

Thanks, Walter. That's the kind of info I was looking to find. (theoretical...not specific to anyone's particular situation)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom