Dive skin needed?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheVinstigator

Registered
Reaction score
Going to ft lauderdale area to dive and my brother insists we will need a dive skin. Any advice on if we need them or we can go without? I have heard that with them you are more succeptable to sea lice?

Depends on your preferences. I always dive with skins. I know plenty of folks who are not using skins. BTW, surface temp this weekend is 88.

Scuba_Jenny:
Depends on your preferences. I always dive with skins. I know plenty of folks who are not using skins. BTW, surface temp this weekend is 88.

I am doing a quick research job on skins as I am getting ready to buy today or tomorrow for a 60 or 70 foot northern Gulf of Mexico, Big Bend of Florida dive. Any suggestions, besides get in shape? :wink:

Unless you want to feel the sting of hydroids, or jellyfish, or get a great sunburn. I use a skin all the time whether on deck or in the water. Being also without hair on my head a lycra hood is nice too! A bonus, a wet suit slips on nicely over the skin even when wet. :wink:

Walter:
You never need a dive skin. I've never worn one. I dive quite a bit.

I totally echo Walters statement here - from springs to ocean, swimsuit only and I'm always comfortable and have have never had any problems.

Of course anyone that has dove with me knows that I have 4 of them!

Check out http://www.divegoddess.com/

Skins do a world of good:
Make it easier to put a wetsuit on
Firecoral protection
Sealice
color coordinate with your eye makeup!

I was just kidding don't send the hate mail!

Aucilla,
Depending upon your personal physiology, a 2/3 mm shorty may be of benefit.
The water in that area and at those depths will probably be in the 72-76 degree range. I don't know what temps you normally dive or your tolerance to cold.
I always dive a 3/2 full suit for reasons of my own choosing.

But, all that said, have a fun and safe dive.

CBulla:
I totally echo Walters statement here - from springs to ocean, swimsuit only and I'm always comfortable and have have never had any problems.

Them Ft. Myers boys are a tough bunch :wink:

The Kracken:
Aucilla,
Depending upon your personal physiology, a 2/3 mm shorty may be of benefit.
The water in that area and at those depths will probably be in the 72-76 degree range. I don't know what temps you normally dive or your tolerance to cold.
I always dive a 3/2 full suit for reasons of my own choosing.

But, all that said, have a fun and safe dive.

I think the temps are well over 80 degrees this time of year.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom