Dive sites in Vancouver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

boney

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey BC divers,

I'm planning on heading over to Vancouver, in the summer, to visit a non-diving friend and I was wondering what there was in Vancouver in terms of diving for just a lowely OW diver... Also I just have a 7mm wetsuit, is this good enough? Or do I need a drysuit?!?!

All this is still in the preliminary stages... hopefully it pans out but I figured I would see what is out there...

TIA!!!

Boney

Water temps around Vancouver in the summer are about 9C give or take a degree. You'll be ok in a *good* wetsuit and if that's what you're used to diving in then it's what you should use. In terms of diving, there are lots of good spots but I would suggest Porteau Cove and Whytecliff park. They're both about 1/2 hour drive North of Vancouver. If you're willing to make a couple of days of it then the Schelt inlet offers pretty much the best diving on the west coast. It's an hour or two drive and a ferry ride away from Vancouver but you will not be disappointed.

R..

http://www.shorediving.com/Earth/Canada/index.htm Here is a good site which gives directions and general descriptions by people how have done dives there. During the summer the water temp is around 50F at the surface and 45F at depth. The water temp is the same year round except the surface temp which has a 5 degree swing. You should warm between dives in the summer as the air temp will be around 25C. Vis can be problem in the summer above 40 to 50 feet, but below that it is around 20 feet average. If you like boat diving go dive some of the artifical reefs sunk by the ARS of BC. Bring a good light.

Diver0001:
If you're willing to make a couple of days of it then the Schelt inlet offers pretty much the best diving on the west coast. It's an hour or two drive and a ferry ride away from Vancouver but you will not be disappointed.

R..

I'll add to what Diver0001 says. In Sechelt look up Cal at Porpoise Bay Divers. His is an excellent operation. He knows Sechelt like the back of his hand. He runs a very safe ship and his pre dive briefs are excellent.

Not sure I would agree with the "best diving on the west coast". I recently dove in Port Hardy on the north end of Vancouver Island. That was some of the finest diving I've done anywhere in the world. There is more life to be seen in Naniamo as well.
Just my 2 cents.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom