dive site suggestions for Myrtle Beach area

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oceana

Reaction score
I will be in Myrtle Beach for a few days toward the end of July and would like to get a couple of dives in. Any suggestions about dive sites, stores etc. would be great.

PS. I am visiting my non-diver dad and his wife - so it's likely that after a long week end I will probably need the name of a place to get a good stiff drink too!

Thanks a bunch for your help!

oceana:
I will be in Myrtle Beach for a few days toward the end of July and would like to get a couple of dives in. Any suggestions about dive sites, stores etc. would be great.

PS. I am visiting my non-diver dad and his wife - so it's likely that after a long week end I will probably need the name of a place to get a good stiff drink too!

Thanks a bunch for your help!

I've dove with Coastal Scuba in North Myrtle Beach, and depending on what you're looking for they are a well run shop. Most of their wrecks this time of year are inshore 50-60 fsw stuff. Not the best wrecks (piles might be better description) but fun. Check out their site for site descriptions, etc. There are also a couple shops that do charters south of Myrtle Beach and you can look their names up on the internet. Wreck diving is pretty much it unless you want to drive south west to dive the Cooper River for some black water fossil hunting. The thing about diving the charters at Myrtle is that you can leave early in the morning (for the inshore stuff) and be back with your family by lunch, so you don't miss the family time.

P.S. If you're really wanting to do a good dive and willing to drive a bit, you could also drive up to Wilmington, NC area and maybe find a better wreck dive in your time frame (Aquatic Safaris charters does some better offshore wrecks). Check out the websites and call the shops for more info.

What part of Myrtle Beach?

Ditto's on Costal Scuba. (http://www.Costalscuba.com and 1-800-249-9388). They are located on HWY 17 about 2.5 miles North of Barefoot Landing.

The Cooper River is also a great stop for artifact hunting if you're into that. I've pulled some nice things out of there in past years. However, it's not "easy" diving and visibility is usually minimal.

If you need more info on the area just ask.

Rich

I've done Coastal Scuba too. They're in North Myrtle Beach, with the boat a few miles away at Little River. It's a pretty good operation, with some Civil War era wrecks. The ones I've dived have been in the 6-10 mile range from shore. Dives are, as said above, in the 50 foot range, with varying viz. I've done the Sherman and Barracuda Alley, and had fun both times. The crowd ranges from locals to tourists to cowboys, but that's true of most boat dives.

In the Myrtle Beach area, Coastal's your best bet.

Best wishes and safe ascents,
Grier

I just got back from a 3-day dive trip to Myrtle Beach, diving the Hebe, BP-25 and the Sherman. Dolphin Dive Charter (www.dolphindivecharter.com) has a spectacular new boat and I can't say enough good things about them.

Thanks for the note. I'll have to look Dolphin up when I'm back in the Carolinas.

-Grier

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom