Dive Shops Selling Rental Gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

medic_diver45

Contributor
Reaction score
Since I am new to all of this, and don't own anything beyond the mask, fins, snorkel, a weight belt and a wetsuit (which is need of replacement), but I don't have a lot of money to spend someone suggested that I talk to dive shops after I get my cert to see if they were selling off any of their rental equipment (the person that told me this said that a lot of the busier shops swap out their gear every year or two). Does anybody know of any dive shops that advertise the sale of their gear?

Since I don't plan on doing anything too terribly "high speed", I don't feel the need to purchase anything beyond the very basic gear (BC, tank, reg and octo, and maybe a dive computer if I can find an affordable one that is good quality) of acceptable quality. Any suggestions?

-Steve

you should gradually build up you stuff, buying new things over a period of time (renting the bits you don't have) - the more you dive, the type of gear you may decide you need may change (or at least the priorities)
......get the tank last (as they're cheap to rent and cumbersome to carry around) - get the reg/octopus first (or lights if your planning on night dives etc,)...and if you can get a deal on a dive computer go for it (spend a few extra $ and ensure if it nitrox compatible so you don't need to upgrade in the near future), then go for the BC etc.
If your LDS is selling things off, make sure they are still in pretty good condition (e.g. you want it to be good for you to use for many years) - remember a reg/octo will need a yearly service as well (so factor in that cost - probably $60-80 yearly).......maybe ask the LDS if they have a "rent to buy" option (or if not, would they consider one)

Good points all around....

Tell me more about the BC you have. I'm not looking to make an immediate purchase by the way- probably at least two to three months down the road.

Here is what Scuba Diving Magazine Has to say about the Glide 500

COMMENTS: The little touches are what stand out on the Glide 500. Although this is Scubapro's most basic BC, it has a comfortable felt lining throughout, nice wide shoulders with lots of adjustment and curved lumbar support. Sternum strap ends are threaded so they don't hang in the way. Huge pockets are easy to access. Both well-placed remote exhausts are fitted with distinctive pull knobs. There's even a handy molded carry handle.

Under water, the Glide 500 lives up to its name. It's extremely stable, making it effortless to maintain the proper swimming attitude. A streamlined power inflator provides very good ascent control, but it's a bit difficult to grasp, especially when wearing gloves. Look at the link!

http://www.scubadiving.com/gear/buoyancy_compensators/no-nonsense_bcs/2/SCUBAPROGLIDE500

I am a newly certified diver. I have made about 10 dives. 5 of which were made with this bc. The bc in in mint condition. The reason I am selling this one is because a friend made me an irritable deal on one of his bc's. It is a Medium in size. It provides 40 lbs. of buoyant lift. Has four pockets and plenty of places to hook on consoles, flashlights ect. If you have any questions please feel free to email me. The owner’s manual is included. It is also still under warranty for one more year.

An irritable deal? Would that be a BC lined with sandpaper? Just kidding :wink:

Sounds really good....I'm definitely interested. I'll e-mail you later about it.

All things considered, what type of budget are you working with? Every time I see a shop selling student/rental gear I take a look for bargains but never find them. I know of one shop that sells their rental gear twice a year. Current offering is for jacket style BC, a reg set with hockey puck octo and a basic gauge set for $650. They also throw in free tank and air plus wet suit usage for a year (doesn't do you any good). First problem is that the warranty is listed as in store. Unless they wish to be somewhat less than ethical, you are the second owner of the gear and aren't entitled to a warranty. By contrast, the same gear package this LDS has would cost probably $50 less from LeisurePro and would be brand new. Without getting into the LDS vs online debate, purchase the gear you want one piece at a time or in a package but skip the rental stuff. It's often seen better days (why sell it if it is still good rental gear) and costs way more that a comparable used piece on ebay. There are some bargains out there- it just takes some effort on your part to find them and you have to know what you want to begin with.

my bc was a 1 yr old rental pro qd and it was in nearly perfect condition, velcro looked a little used, and it had M-2 in yellow paint pen on the tank band. i have used it for about 50 dives and am now going to sell it because it still has a lot of dives left.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom