Dive Shops Closing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tekkydiver

Contributor
Reaction score
Looks like another Dive Shop is OOB. The Scuba Center in Delray, there one day, then suddenly completely empty and the Windows papered over. Too bad, it was a nice shop with nice people and a folksy atmosphere. Last year indy shops in Pompano and Riviera Beach closed down too. Seems that EBay, Amazon and discount Internets stores are dooming the LDS.

Meanwhile, some shops are doing ok. StuartScuba expanded into BHB location and keeps several boats busy, while also getting banked nitrox available at the Bridge.

Force E is renovating their store in Riviera.

Pura Vida is now offering not only banked nitrox at 34% (can work well for topping off slightrox mixes, or for the depths of the ocean around here) but they have a fill card with gas for only 9 cents a cube, which is unheard of.

Of course, none of them remember my name or face when I pop in ~once a month for a few fills, which would be nice, and I still don't understand why the dive shops close the same minute most of us get out of our day jobs, making tank pickups a chore...

I ran into some really nice people at BHB recently, who had been diving with The Scuba Club for years, and had never taken the time to dive BHB. I try hard to alternate shops so every one gets my business, but the 9 cents a cube gas and banked nitrox means I'm giving slightly more to that shop than the others recently.

Many of the internet dealers are brick and mortar shops. People tend to forget that and look at the internet as the big bad boogy man.
But in reality, the shops that find a way to compete with the internet (or incorporate the internet), and provide one thing the internet cannot and that is face to face outstanding customer service, they will win.
There are also many bad internet dealers too, we hear about them all the time. A person gets screwed and has little recourse. The dealer could be 3000 miles away. Then there is the fact that there is a glut on internet dealers right now. They all count on volume to make up for free shipping and heavily discounted prices. But with so many now they're all feeling the pinch and the results are lot's of out of stock items and difficulty getting products from distributors because of slow pay (robbing Peter to pay Paul).

People get screwed on ebay and craiglist all the time too.
There will always be a need for a good LDS, but the key word is GOOD.

i will tell you that at Stuart Scuba they will try and meet any internet price.
It's far too easy to get burned buying scuba gear online. i vastly prefer local brick and mortar.

JaJaW, I'm surprised none of them remember your name. I moved away from Palm Beach County recently, but when I was there, my wife used to laugh when I walked into Force-E or Jupiter Dive Ctr and was greeted by name. After a momentary chuckle, she would look at me sideways and ask exactly how much money was I really spending at those shops.

Tekky: when you mention the Rivera Beach shop that closed, are you referring to the Scuba Club. If so, they didn't close but relocated since the former owner was ready to retire and had the chance to sell the property to a developer: can't really blame her since I'm sure whatever selling price she got (will get if not sold) will pad her retirement account nicely. That had more to do with owners stage in life vs Internet competition

Tekky: when you mention the Rivera Beach shop that closed, are you referring to the Scuba Club. If so, they didn't close but relocated since the former owner was ready to retire and had the chance to sell the property to a developer: can't really blame her since I'm sure whatever selling price she got (will get if not sold) will pad her retirement account nicely. That had more to do with owners stage in life vs Internet competition

Wasn't Scuba club. It was a shop on Dixie just a stone's throw from the Lake Park Marina. Calyso maybe? Groupon is packed with half price certifications from open water, nitrox and advanced. Shops must be hurting for business. Stuart Scuba is on Groupon. Even Abernethy is on Groupon for boat dives. Come to think of it, is Abernethy's store on Dixie still there?

... It was a shop on Dixie just a stone's throw from the Lake Park Marina.....

That was Salty Dawg Scuba and Jason was the owner. The shop was on the backside of LK park marina on US1. He also owned the Wetter the Better boat before taking it over to Sarasota after his shop closed. After that, Bill Walker brought WtB back to WPB and rebuilt it as it runs today.

Wasn't Scuba club. It was a shop on Dixie just a stone's throw from the Lake Park Marina. Calyso maybe? Groupon is packed with half price certifications from open water, nitrox and advanced. Shops must be hurting for business. Stuart Scuba is on Groupon. Even Abernethy is on Groupon for boat dives. Come to think of it, is Abernethy's store on Dixie still there?

Stuart Scuba is running a pretty successful operation. Groupon is just a tool and relatively few customers come in that way. They run almost 1000 certs a year

Seems that the dive industry in S. Fl continues to lose quality ops. In 2 weeks, the Spree out of Key West will be no more. It's a credit to the Capt. he was able to keep that op going for as long as he did. For those of you who never owned a vessel/commercial operation in S.FLA and the Keys, you can't imagine non-stop headaches.

Vessel and equipment maintenance are never ending... never ending; literally. That's just maintenance. There are also constant repairs that are usually more involved than first thought and always cost more than you planned. No matter how much you can do yourself, it is essential to have someone to provide quality work, with some urgency, at a fair price. Don't even ask what a marine mechanic will charge but you will you gladly pay whatever they ask. If you can find and keep a good one, congrats, because you have sorted through friends, fakes and You Tube experts. And down here, good luck getting anyone to work past 4 pm.

Then there are the customers! With a percentage larger than you might guess, your best is never good enough, and most difficult to satisfy. Nothing is quite right, bad viz, not enough fish, choppy water, strong current... or it would be better if... in an attempt to whittle the price down or weasel add-on features that are often laughable, all while you are expected to have a grateful ear to ear smile as they tell you they hold the sword of the internet bashing over your head. Then they stuff some foreign object in the head and bitch about the sewage back up, and finally stiff the crew, who are underpaid to start with.

Speaking of the crew, try finding quality help when the pay is too low to support the cost of living. Turnover is brutal. Training new help is endless. You can't believe the range of people who apply. From retired type A cops who are experts and can't wait to tell you what is wrong and how they are going to turn the operation around (Customers generally loathe them) to the perky college kid who turns out to be halfway through rehab and disappears the night before a trip. Then the "Friends" who "volunteer" to crew and then think they are the customers, and out comes that phrase, "I'm not doing that!"

After that is the administrative side, the Coast Guard, Customs, Federal, State and local, Taxmen, Tourism officials and trade shows, FWC, local municipalities and their ordinances, law enforcement, office space, dock masters, advertising sales people, organizations questionable and legit (sometimes hard to tell which is which) looking for handouts. Trying to keep up with the phone messages and emails and on and on.

Working with local suppliers for ship stores, galley supplies..... hell it's endless. And this barely scratches the surface. Did I mention the weather?

Finally there is the bank. I don't know if the wolves were starting to stir or coming to knock on the door down there. But they always lurk. I do know the day the sale is final and the change of command takes place, someone will have their best night's sleep in years.

If you think what the Spree did over the years is easy, fun and profitable, just wait and see how long it takes to fill the void.

Seems that the dive industry in S. Fl continues to lose quality ops. In 2 weeks, the Spree out of Key West will be no more. It's a credit to the Capt. he was able to keep that op going for as long as he did. For those of you who never owned a vessel/commercial operation in S.FLA and the Keys, you can't imagine non-stop headaches.

Vessel and equipment maintenance are never ending... never ending; literally. That's just maintenance. There are also constant repairs that are usually more involved than first thought and always cost more than you planned. No matter how much you can do yourself, it is essential to have someone to provide quality work, with some urgency, at a fair price. Don't even ask what a marine mechanic will charge but you will you gladly pay whatever they ask. If you can find and keep a good one, congrats, because you have sorted through friends, fakes and You Tube experts. And down here, good luck getting anyone to work past 4 pm.

Then there are the customers! With a percentage larger than you might guess, your best is never good enough, and most difficult to satisfy. Nothing is quite right, bad viz, not enough fish, choppy water, strong current... or it would be better if... in an attempt to whittle the price down or weasel add-on features that are often laughable, all while you are expected to have a grateful ear to ear smile as they tell you they hold the sword of the internet bashing over your head. Then they stuff some foreign object in the head and bitch about the sewage back up, and finally stiff the crew, who are underpaid to start with.

Speaking of the crew, try finding quality help when the pay is too low to support the cost of living. Turnover is brutal. Training new help is endless. You can't believe the range of people who apply. From retired type A cops who are experts and can't wait to tell you what is wrong and how they are going to turn the operation around (Customers generally loathe them) to the perky college kid who turns out to be halfway through rehab and disappears the night before a trip. Then the "Friends" who "volunteer" to crew and then think they are the customers, and out comes that phrase, "I'm not doing that!"

After that is the administrative side, the Coast Guard, Customs, Federal, State and local, Taxmen, Tourism officials and trade shows, FWC, local municipalities and their ordinances, law enforcement, office space, dock masters, advertising sales people, organizations questionable and legit (sometimes hard to tell which is which) looking for handouts. Trying to keep up with the phone messages and emails and on and on.

Working with local suppliers for ship stores, galley supplies..... hell it's endless. And this barely scratches the surface. Did I mention the weather?

Finally there is the bank. I don't know if the wolves were starting to stir or coming to knock on the door down there. But they always lurk. I do know the day the sale is final and the change of command takes place, someone will have their best night's sleep in years.

If you think what the Spree did over the years is easy, fun and profitable, just wait and see how long it takes to fill the void.

Some are just not cut out for that race.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom