Dive Shop for Family Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sgoldman

Registered
Reaction score
We will be in Ambergris Caye Belize 6/22-6/30 and my research has suggested that there are three dive shops that would be good with a family of divers from Advanced Open Water to 12 year old Open Water diver. These shops seem to be Protech, Amigos Del Mar and Ecologic. Does anyone have expereince with these shops and family diving.

Steve Goldman

All three are good dive centers, i would say Protech and ourselves take out smaller groups, thus we might geared a litter better to handle "Family" dives. you cannot go wrong by choosing any of the above

All three are good dive centers, i would say Protech and ourselves take out smaller groups, thus we might geared a litter better to handle "Family" dives. you cannot go wrong by choosing any of the above

We certainly do try to help all members of a family as individuals! Generally I think you'd be better off with the smaller operators. Depending where you're staying, you could also consider Belize Academy of Diving (BAD only in name), who serve the hotels well north of town. At the northern end of town are a couple of small operators who will "do you proud" - Chuck 'n Robby, and Everette and Enes (I apologise that I can't for the moment recall what they call their business). And there are one or two others. At that time of the year no-one will be busy, so you'll get individual attention from operators who might not be as good for you at other times. But as it'll be quiet I wouldn't book anything in advance, but have a look around once you arrive and make your mind up then.

You say you'll be "in Belize".. All these operators are in San Pedro on Ambergris Caye - is that where you're headed?

BAD are located six miles north, so if you're anywhere north of say three miles from town I'd contact them. If you're closer to town than that then maybe also contact them, but you'll find your area served by operators from town. If there's only one or two of you you may find some reluctance on the part of operators to visit you - this is down to the cost of fuel here and not prejudice! So long as you recognise that you're not likely to get quite the same deals as someone in town then it can still work well. I had a family group of four who wanted individual diving, and for that many I was able to give them what they wanted from my town base.

I should have said above - there's now a small dive shop located at White Sands Cove resort about three miles from town, and if you're in the vicinity I believe they'll give you a good service.

sgoldman
peter is correct the fuel is expensive, that is why we have repowered are boats with new engines.With new engines it allows us to get better gas mileage. this lets us pick up customers form the northern resorts. We have two locations 1 being on the north end of town and a 2nd location at Sueno Del Mar 12 miles north.
Lots of dive centers only have 1 or 2 boats so it makes it difficult to do pickups past 3miles.

Back
Top Bottom