Dive Rite Travel-Pac + HOG D1 or BP2 first stage/regs good starting gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deskdiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Anyone care to suggest first time gear and comment on my potential choices and logic?

There is such an abundance of hard to compare equipment and brands in the scuba it's really hard to choose. I'm a noob and dive warm water in generally clear/resort conditions. I would like to purchase some equipment where I could just rent the bottles locally. My theory is to try to identify the value band where the equipment will be able to keep up and keep safe.

After researching it seems that BP/W setups are favoured by the tech community so I figure if it's good enough for them it's good enough for me and while overkill for recreational diving that I will be doing it'd be nice to know I'm learning it "right" should I ever want to advance.

I was thinking of purchasing a Dive Rite travel-pac. My logic is that it's cheaper than the full XT and will be similar to BP/W setups. The alternative would be spend another $200 and get a Dive Rite Transpac XT .. though I'm not sure I'd get the value out of it as a beginner.

Can anyone comment on my BCD logic here? Or even offer alternatives?

Regulator wise, LDS seem to stock a lot of AL so I maintenance wise I think AL would be the go, however I've stumbled onto a deal for "1- Hog BP2 Din First Stage and 2- Hog Balanced Second Stages" for $280 .. HOG seems to get good reviews and be in a value price point.. if it's a matter of life/death/comfort I guess I'd spend more but it's hard to know what other regs really are bringing for more money.. I just don't have the experience and everything seems to be based on subjective value.

I was leaning towards BP2 simply due to cost but not sure if I should spend more and get the DP1.. I believe the DP1 is diaphragm where the DP2 is a piston based first stage. I'm also attracted to these as the kits seem to come with longer primary and shorter secondary ala-DIR style, so I figure it's going to work out of the box. This way I don't have to pair my own primary/secondary.. though am open to it if someone can suggest AL models that may be appropriate..

Anyone care to comment on regulator choice? Or offer alternatives? (or even offer a brand of hoses to use)

I'd probably like to think I can get a whole new rig for 1-1.5k .. With these I'm at around $900 before weights, fins, boots, mask etc so I think this ends up on the "value" part of my budget (which I think is good).. If there is a case to spend more then maybe someone can comment on that..

After researching it seems that BP/W setups are favoured by the tech community so I figure if it's good enough for them it's good enough for me and while overkill for recreational diving that I will be doing it'd be nice to know I'm learning it "right" should I ever want to advance.

Tech diving had been conducted before the invention of the BPW. The BPW is just another type of BC, nothing special about it. I don't dive tech and don't intend to, and the BPW had served me well for six years now.

I was thinking of purchasing a Dive Rite travel-pac. My logic is that it's cheaper than the full XT and will be similar to BP/W setups. The alternative would be spend another $200 and get a Dive Rite Transpac XT .. though I'm not sure I'd get the value out of it as a beginner.

If you see no point in swapping the wings out for different wing sizes, then go with the Travelpac. It's the same thing as the Transpac but with a permanently attached wing.

Can anyone comment on my BCD logic here? Or even offer alternatives?

You didn't list your preferred dive destinations so it's hard to make suggestion. With the Travelpac selection, I presume that you tend to dive in warm water/tropical water?

Can't help you with the regulator as I prefer Atomic regulators and don't know much more about HOG brand regulators than what you've already posted.

Hog D1 is a good reg. I'd recommend that over the BP2 mainly because it's a diaphragm reg and is environmentally sealed but that's just my personal opinion. But, if you're only diving in clean, warm waters either one will be fine. If you ever plan on getting in cold waters (freezing) or murky/dirty waters, the D1 would probably fit you better. Again, my opinion, the D1 is a better all around reg due to it being a diaphragm and evniro sealed because it's built for less than perfect conditions.

Edit: I dive a sucbapro Mk17/G250v. The 1st stage is diaphragm/enviro sealed and is built to withstand really cold waters as well as the murky crap we have in Texas. The MK25 was my original choice and after diving them both, I honestly couldn't tell a difference in the two. The MK25 is great in warm waters . The MK17 is great in warm waters. The MK25 is usable in cold waters. The MK17 is ideal/excellent in cold waters. The MK25 isn't the best choice in dirty, crappy waters. The MK17 is great in dirty, crappy waters. The MK25 has a swivel turret which is great for doubles hose routing. The MK17 doesn't have a swivel turret but can still be used just fine for doubles hose routing with a little extra effort getting it setup correctly. In that case, I chose the MK17 because it was a bit cheaper and was better suited for any sort of diving.

Last edited:
Tech diving had been conducted before the invention of the BPW. The BPW is just another type of BC, nothing special about it. I don't dive tech and don't intend to, and the BPW had served me well for six years now.

If you see no point in swapping the wings out for different wing sizes, then go with the Travelpac. It's the same thing as the Transpac but with a permanently attached wing.

You didn't list your preferred dive destinations so it's hard to make suggestion. With the Travelpac selection, I presume that you tend to dive in warm water/tropical water?

Can't help you with the regulator as I prefer Atomic regulators and don't know much more about HOG brand regulators than what you've already posted.
Thanks for the clarification.

I'll be in South East Asia. I don't think I would change wing sizes as I understand changing them is more if you carry a lot of gear. I don't intend on carrying anything more discretionary than a line cutter so I figure the same wing size will be fine. I understand if I ever need doubles I would need to change to a bigger wing (and thus with the Travelpac a new BCD entirely). Again, this is the question of "should I spend the extra $200 or not" to "future proof" a little bit. I'm currently leaning towards: "don't bother".

Hog D1 is a good reg. I'd recommend that over the BP2 mainly because it's a diaphragm reg and is environmentally sealed but that's just my personal opinion. But, if you're only diving in clean, warm waters either one will be fine. If you ever plan on getting in cold waters (freezing) or murky/dirty waters, the D1 would probably fit you better. Again, my opinion, the D1 is a better all around reg due to it being a diaphragm and evniro sealed because it's built for less than perfect conditions.

Edit: I dive a sucbapro Mk17/G250v. The 1st stage is diaphragm/enviro sealed and is built to withstand really cold waters as well as the murky crap we have in Texas. The MK25 was my original choice and after diving them both, I honestly couldn't tell a difference in the two. The MK25 is great in warm waters . The MK17 is great in warm waters. The MK25 is usable in cold waters. The MK17 is ideal/excellent in cold waters. The MK25 isn't the best choice in dirty, crappy waters. The MK17 is great in dirty, crappy waters. The MK25 has a swivel turret which is great for doubles hose routing. The MK17 doesn't have a swivel turret but can still be used just fine for doubles hose routing with a little extra effort getting it setup correctly. In that case, I chose the MK17 because it was a bit cheaper and was better suited for any sort of diving.

SP is the other brand that is big across the region as I understand it. Thanks for the model numbers will check that out.

Re: D1 vs BP2 thanks for the clarification.. There's a kit for the BP2 with 2 classic regs for $280.. that's pretty darned good if you ask me. The D1 first stage based kits seem to be $350.. worth the difference? (I don't have much muddy stuff here but if it's the difference between having a good day or bad day the cost is not material..)

SP is the other brand that is big across the region as I understand it. Thanks for the model numbers will check that out.

I really like my SP regs but they are quite a bit more expensive. Is it worth it? I can't say honestly. I've dove the D1's a couple times but not enough and in enough different environments to say yes or know. I do know that they've stood the test of time where as HOG, to my understanding, is still relatively new (IE: there are no 20 year old HOG regs still being used today).

I do have a buddy that dives HOG regs and said that when he's trucking around on his scooter and has it opened up against a decent current, he has had it free flow a couple times. Slowing down fixed it but that was his only complaint that I know of.

Re: D1 vs BP2 thanks for the clarification.. There's a kit for the BP2 with 2 classic regs for $280.. that's pretty darned good if you ask me. The D1 first stage based kits seem to be $350.. worth the difference? (I don't have much muddy stuff here but if it's the difference between having a good day or bad day the cost is not material..)

I couldn't say, honestly. Both deals are quite good. It really all depends on what you expect to throw at them. If you're not expecting to dive in cold or muddy waters, BP2 should be fine.

As I understand it, the HOG designs are based on long-standing, well proven designs that are some 30+ years old. You will be well suited buying those regs, whichever choice you buy.

I have no experience with the travelpac but it looks similar to the expresstech, which I liked. The harness looks pretty similar. to the transplate, which I found it quite nice.

Thanks for the input guys. At the moment I'm leaning towards:

Travelpac - $389.99
D1 "set" (2 D1 second stages and D1 first stage plus all the hoses) - $350

Seems like a good start price wise too and way under my budget.

I did also see a deal for
AT20 US4 Stage 4 Set for $399.00. I think the advantage of using the Apeks is with AL being so popular here where I am it might be easier to service. Is Apeks serviced everywhere AL is (this is my assumption?) .. The downside with this is the secondary is yellow, which if I'm wearing around my neck DIR style I'd rather have it black to be honest so not to confuse anyone as to it's function in an OOA scenario. I guess I would be able to change the cover to a black one?

Anyone care to comment on if perhaps the Apeks deal represents good value and if it's as easily serviced as AL in a AL dealer?

I have a DR voyagerpac. I like it a lot. I bought it instead of going straight into a bp/w...which I did six months later. For what my voyagerpac cost, actually less, I got a SS backplate and harness with a DR Voyager XT 35lb. wing. If I had it to do over, would have gone straight to the bp/w. Can always use a backup, I suppose. :)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I have a DR TravelPac that I use for tropical diving with a 3 mil shorty and 10-12 lbs weight. It feels much more stable compared to a jacket BC, in large part because of the crotch strap. I was not able to drop weight as it is just as floaty as my jacket. I use 4 lbs on the tank strap and 8 on a belt. Keep in mind that DR recommends this for AL 80 tanks and no more than 16 lbs weight.

For tropical diving and travel the TravelPac works well.

Thanks very much for the input.

I think I've decided on the BP1 kit and the Travelpac. If I ever want to move into anything else I can purchase additional gear then, till then this will keep me happy for a long while.

I'm not sure about the lift however, is the travelpac really enough?

I don't see myself carrying much other than my regs, my weights, maybe a small camera and light.. I'm 90kg and will be diving only tropical warm water. Would I ever need more than the 10-16lbs of weight the travelpac can lift? Is it worth having more overhead with the voyager in case I need to lift someone else's weight or something like that? Being the same price I don't see the disadvantage, but perhaps being much bigger than required has its own downsides? Not really sure how to approach this decision?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom