Dive Rite Transpac

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tank height is also an issue on the BP setup. The typical single tank adaptor (STA) positions the upper camband very high. Even with the tank as far down as it will go the tank is very high. On the Halcyon Pioneer 36# right that I rented, this was annoying. The wing (old style Pioneer) hit my head constantly. I had to fold it down to get it out of the way. It was completely unacceptable. The newer Pioneer wing mounts lower, but I doubt that I would be satisfied with this.

Note that tank height is an issue with all softpack BC's, not just BP's. The Transpac is definitely an improvement over a BP in that regard although it is an issue that you should check out if considering any softpack or BP.

From what I am hearing on this board, the built in STA on the new Pioneer wings does not work all that well. It ought to tell a reasonable person that any BC that needs and adaptor to use a single tank was designed for doubles in the first place.

I know the majority of those posting here report no troubles with yor BP's, but I bet each one of you went through a period of adaptation to its quirks. I call this the learning curve. Most other gear just conforms to the diver, with a BP, the diver conforms to it.

Let me make it clear, I have no issues with the safety of backplates, reliability, streamlining, cosmetics and trim improvements. The only performance issue that I have is the distance of the tank from the diver's back. My gripes are about comfort and convenience.

If you are happy with your BP, I am glad you are happy, but I am just as glad that a diver with a jacket is happy with his jacket. I am not here to help out Dive Rite (but I like my TP2) or hurt Halcyon (they build top quality products) or anyone else who manufactures BP's. It is just that there are two sides to this story.

This thread is taking the usual course. Someone asked if a TP2 was DIR. The answer was no, only a BP with continuous webbing is DIR. That should have been it, IMO. As usual the crowd jumps in to convert the unsuspecting newbie. I put in my demurral. Most of the others who share my opinion have gotten tired of this nonsense, and so will I eventually. A few rebut me. The record is made for posterity. No one got wet, what a shame.

Mddolson - Was it difficult to arrange ? Would you be able to get it back to its original state ?

Sorry to be so curious, but I am strongly considering getting one myself and this may create a lot more options

leadweight once bubbled...
This thread is taking the usual course. Someone asked if a TP2 was DIR. The answer was no, only a BP with continuous webbing is DIR. That should have been it, IMO. As usual the crowd jumps in to convert the unsuspecting newbie. I put in my demurral. Most of the others who share my opinion have gotten tired of this nonsense, and so will I eventually. A few rebut me. The record is made for posterity. No one got wet, what a shame.

I feel compelled to disagree. Someone asked whether a bp and wings using a Transpac II harness would count as DIR. I saw two responses that said no, and stated a reason. The multiple failure point reasoning led to another question, which was explained briefly.

All of the other comments on the board were strictly about backplate and wing setups and that the users preferred that setup. There was only one other comment (besides yours) regarding DIR.

And I didn't see ANY post attempting to 'convert the unsuspecting newbie.'

In fact, you jumped in and said that DIR didn't have to be a consideration for him in choosing a new setup. Well obviously it IS, or he wouldnt have asked. I see a lot more of the people bashing this system than I see of people trying to "convert" others to it.

And for the record: I am not "DIR." As Mddolson stated, I am a mix having adopted some of their ideals and configurations, but alot of things I do my own way, including owning, diving and liking a TPII.

Rice once bubbled...
Would a Dive-rite transpac II harness with a BP and wings count as(towards) DIR?

I'm looking for a warm water system with mostly thin exposure protection. I LIKE the idea of padded straps and some protection for my back.

We'll see how far I go, I'm just gettign started.
thanks,
Rice
Two issues here -
(1) "DIR" - Nope, the Transpac isn't "DIR"
(2) Suitability of the Transpac II as a warm water system. I own and dive both BP/Wings and Transpac II. I probably dive the Transpac 3 to 4 dives for every one I dive with the BP. There are many reasons for that, which all rolled together come out "for me, most of the time the Transpac is the better choice for the dive at hand."
For single tank dives I always (so far) prefer the Transpac.
-----
Never had a "failure" of any sort with my Transpac; been diving it actively for six years.
Rick

Conor Bubbled:"Mddolson - Was it difficult to arrange ? "
Would you be able to get it back to its original state ?"

No it was not.
Yes I can.

The only are that required a little "modification" so to speak is the wide shoulder pads. These lie under the should straps, and are attached to the soft pack with velcro, and as such do not carry any load. There is no point to attach the velcro on ther backplate, so I took the harness to a local tent and awning shop and had them stitch webing to the velcro to extend it. The added webings are paased through the top horizontal slots of the backplate, to the back of the plate, through a SS weight retainer then back through the slot to the front again. These are laced through another weight (d-ring) retainer to attach them to shoulder straps.

To switch it back, I would just remove the weight retainers, and undo the stitching.

Mike D

Back
Top Bottom