Dive Rite TransPac, weight pocket, correct use?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Schwob

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So, the new to us TransPac Xt3000 fits my wife and she likes it. The weight pockets puzzle us a little. See pics.
How are they meant to be used correctly?

There's a belt mounted outer shell, open to the top.Buckled to it is the inner pocket, the external flap of which also velcroes to the outside of the outer pocket. By un-velcroing that (buckle can yet stay latched) the inner pocket can be pulled out, but it won't be lost unless also unbuckled. Then the inner pockets inner flap could be un-velcroed and I guess just the weight (in there) could be dumped, retaining the pocket. Not super quick, but not slow.
Or the inner pocket could be un-buckled and dumped as a whole. Not necessarily reallt faster. Hence wondering what that buckle is meant to be for and how it's really sipposed to be used.
???
20181223_204302_Richtone(HDR).jpg
20181223_204321_Richtone(HDR).jpg
20181223_204338_Richtone(HDR).jpg
20181223_204355_Richtone(HDR).jpg

I had to look at mine, they're not the same. They're a pretty straight forward pouch with a velcro closure, and then the usual plastic to clip them in and out. No extra closures.

That looks like it takes 3 or 4 steps to pull the weights. Are you sure they're weight pockets?

Pretty straight forward, put weights into the pouch and close the small flap (I can get 9 pounds into each of mine) the big outer pouch holds thisand the big flap closes onto that and if you want more security latch it, not really necessary. There is a right and left if you look at the attachment strap, I mount them to point forward. Mine also have Velcro inside the pouch which can hold lessor weight tightly and stop shifting of the lead.

My buddy and I both have the DR pouch and pockets. His are the newer ones with the extra velcro flap, mine are the older ones without. His are inserted into the pocket backwards from mine, with the pouch opening facing inwards. The extra velcro on his is an insurance policy, I think, in case the QR buckle is inadvertently opened. It also serves to prevent the pouch from sliding out of the pocket and just hanging there by the QR buckle; this can happen if there is only one small weight in the pouch.

Thanks all. I take it weight pockets they are indeed (was wondering myself, but could not think what else they'd be for) and we sort of were planning to use them how they are meant to be used... just different from what we're used to...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom