Dive Rite Thigh pocket any good?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have and use the DR thigh pocket with my drysuit, and it works pretty good. It moves around a little bit, but it s very useful. I glued DR mask pockets on my 3 of my wetsuits, and these work great! I don't know how I ever got by without them! I just haven't gotten bold enough to glue some onto my drysuit. The DR mask pockets are smaller than the thigh pockets, but as the name implies you can stow a back-up mask in one, or 2 back-up lights, or a finger spool.

I stopped using mine. it rotates to the front of the thigh no matter how hard you tighten it down. I've since went to using a large XS scuba pocket where your can light would go that attaches on the waist strap webbing. I use a plastic webbing buckle to keep it in place. Works MUCH better and I can hook my long hose under it. I keep wenotes, a 6' SMB and an attached 100' finger spool, can't even tell it's there compared to when I had it in the thigh pocket.

I have the Oxycheq version of that pocket, and the "strap around the pocket" idea just didn't work for me. Too much wrapping and strapping to get geared up. And with stuff in it, it moves around when under water.

I'm currently using it just hanging off the waist strap of the HOG harness - keeping it in place with a keeper, but that's not ideal either. Cumbersome when gearing up and makes it tough to get the weight belt on - I wear the weight belt on top of the crotch strap, as I dive a wetsuit.

I'm shopping for pockets to glue on my wetsuit. Golem gear seems to have nice pockets for a very nice price. I just need to get the courage up to go ahead with the project :)

Henrik

Call Phil Ellis from Divesports.com and have him set you up with some XS Scuba pockets. They are good quality and get glued onto your wetsuit or drysuit. He was selling them in the low $20's. They will hold an SMB, spool, shears, mask, wet notes, whistle, etc.

The next best option is X-shorts, that are shorts with pockets built into them.

I just bought one a couple months ago and it seems to work fine. Sounds like they may have done some redesigning on it recently to reduce the amount of twisting. Mine doesn't seem to move around at all. The wide elastic band that goes around your thing has some non-slip stuff on the inside that seems to limit movement.

I keep a mask, tables and miscl stuff in mine.

I have the old version and it does tend to slip around my leg. This new model looks like they have addressed that problem. I need to figure out a way to upgrade mine without hurting my neoprene.

I need to figure out a way to upgrade mine without hurting my neoprene.

Many years ago, when I was helping my dad maintain the family's shoes - re-soling and such - we (he) used a fluid rubbery compound that he smeared on the bottom of slippery leather soled shoes 1) to keep them from wearing out too quick and 2) to make them less slippery.

Maybe something like that still exists; create a couple of "bands" of sticky rubber on the inside of the thigh elastic. Use masking tape to mask/mark off. Maybe make the bands narrow and vertical to prevent the stretching of the elastic from releasing the rubber compound.

Just a thought.

Henrik

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom