Dive Rite Regs for HOGs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cbrich

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I have a set of Dive Rite regs, and looking at replacing them for HOG regs, or just getting them serviced. How are the HOG regs differ from the DR regs? I have looked at the service manuals for each reg, and they appear identical.

Do the HOG 2nd stages have a micro-adjuster?

What can you guys out there that self service your HOG regs get them to crack at w/o bubbles and/or leaks? I want to know a measured number on a magnehelic, not a "trust me it's awesome, best sh1t I ever had" type of reply please. Specifically, can you set them as low as say 1.1?

I too have some Dive Rite regs I use for backgas and I am less than pleased with the 2nd stages. I wonder if a 109.00 HOG 2nd stage could really be any better.

And by that I mean grab one of my seconds and tune it to your first to see if you like it.

yes they can set it for 1.1 with no problems...if they detune them.

Do the HOG 2nd stages have a micro-adjuster?

What can you guys out there that self service your HOG regs get them to crack at w/o bubbles and/or leaks? I want to know a measured number on a magnehelic, not a "trust me it's awesome, best sh1t I ever had" type of reply please. Specifically, can you set them as low as say 1.1?

I too have some Dive Rite regs I use for backgas and I am less than pleased with the 2nd stages. I wonder if a 109.00 HOG 2nd stage could really be any better.

---------- Post Merged at 02:32 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 02:29 PM ----------

just replace the seconds. That is the most economical route. DR and I have different choices in the first stage, but in truth not that any human would notice in real life and not worth dumping your DR second stages. You will notice a HUGE difference in teh second stage however.
I have a set of Dive Rite regs, and looking at replacing them for HOG regs, or just getting them serviced. How are the HOG regs differ from the DR regs? I have looked at the service manuals for each reg, and they appear identical.

yes they can set it for 1.1 with no problems...if they detune them.

Thanks for the reply. What is your recommended setting on them? This is very interesting...

And by that I mean grab one of my seconds and tune it to your first to see if you like it.

Thanks for the offer, if you didn't live all the way across town from me and the magnehelic I would take you up on it. A couple people I know that have both (one has the gauge the other has the regs) are going to do some testing today or tomorrow.

you can set them as low as .8 without stability issues, i set mine around .9 and recommend when servicing 1.0. Only reason is I hate having to tune a reg after the lp seat takes a set and I KNOW that the majority of techs don't cycle the reg enough when they service

Thanks for the reply. What is your recommended setting on them? This is very interesting...

Thanks for the offer, if you didn't live all the way across town from me and the magnehelic I would take you up on it. A couple people I know that have both (one has the gauge the other has the regs) are going to do some testing today or tomorrow.

Well, if you ever want to invite me over to make sure my reg is tuned up correctly, I'd make the trip.

I'm no expert ( complete hack actually ) but I just played with my regs ( gotta start somewhere ) using the kitchen sink method.

Assuming my IP gauge is correct my first stage seems to be putting off around 132psi. Not sure if it should be higher or not.

I set my seconds like this:

Primary:
Flooded reg with breathing tuned all the way out results in a tiny bubble every 2 seconds. Dial it in a little and the bubbles stop. Doing the test procedure results in air to start flowing at about .75" with breathing adjustment all the way out

Secondary:
Flooded reg results in no bubbles regardless of breathing adjustment. Test procedure results in air to start flowing at about 1.25" with the adjustment all the way out.

Regarding "microadjustments" ... I'm not sure what James means exactly but I think I do little. It seems like I barely nudge the orriface adjustment to get from bubbles a little to over 1" cracking.

I'd love to visit someone who knows what they are doing and see how these things could be tuned and measured in more capable hands.

130-145 ip is fine. i tend to set my personal regs at 140 for warm water diving
I'm no expert ( complete hack actually ) but I just played with my regs ( gotta start somewhere ) using the kitchen sink method.

Assuming my IP gauge is correct my first stage seems to be putting off around 132psi. Not sure if it should be higher or not.

I set my seconds like this:

Primary:
Flooded reg with breathing tuned all the way out results in a tiny bubble every 2 seconds. Dial it in a little and the bubbles stop. Doing the test procedure results in air to start flowing at about .75" with breathing adjustment all the way out

Secondary:
Flooded reg results in no bubbles regardless of breathing adjustment. Test procedure results in air to start flowing at about 1.25" with the adjustment all the way out.

Regarding "microadjustments" ... I'm not sure what James means exactly but I think I do little. It seems like I barely nudge the orriface adjustment to get from bubbles a little to over 1" cracking.

I'd love to visit someone who knows what they are doing and see how these things could be tuned and measured in more capable hands.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom