Dive Rite Nomad XT Sidemount System

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KevinTrew

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Still new at searching the forum. Have found a lot of postings in various threads on the XDeep Tec set up (which I'm considering ) but not a lot on the Dive Rite Nomad XT Sidemount System (which I'm also considering). I'm aware that it's billed as it can be used as a SM/dual/single and CCR set up and I understand that if you can afford it, the best option would be to run separate rigs for the above types of diving due to the hassle of changing the setup for each type of use.

All opinions are welcome but would be nice to have views from anyone who has actually used or owned the XT in SM and other rig set up.

You're comparing apples and oranges.

The Nomad XT uses the transpac harness and mates it to a more traditional style wing. The air cell forms a donut shape that circumnavigates the back "plate" part of the harness.

The XDeep Tec has a harness attached to a "beach ball" style air cell that sits right in the middle of your back.

There are pro's and cons to both approaches. The main advantage to the Nomad XT is you can use that same exact transpac harness on a single tank rig, or a doubles rig, and you're always diving a rig that you've developed muscle memory for. One main advantage of the XDeep is you're diving a "platform specific" piece of rig that is designed around sidemount diving.

BTW, Dive Rite also has non-modular sidemount systems that are excellent and purpose built for sidemount diving. The Nomad LS is a great little piece of kit.

It's true that the Nomad XT it built around the Transpack harness. I really like this harness platform, and have a couple set up for single tank rigs for my kids and loaners. I like having gear that is modular and can be adapted as my needs change. Having said that, I don't think it is practical to have a Nomad that will do double duty as backmount and sidemount. Way too much change-over time, ..at least for me. And even if you are prone to do this, you really should do a couple dives on the newly "put together" Nomad, before jumping off the back of a boat, .or making that hike down to jug with all your gear. :wink:

Ken Is right about the Nomad "LS". You loose the modularity, but it's much more of a specialized piece of kit. I have about 50 dives on mine, and really like it. I shadowed a sidemout class with two students, both using the LS a couple months back. I can say that "off the rack" both students and myself were trimming out very well with only minor tweaks.

What are you looking to do?

I have the Nomad XT and a bastardized Xdeep set up (DECO harness and a Stealth 2.0 bladder); not the same as the tec. Ken is right you're making an apples to oranges comparison. In my experience of using the two different styles the Nomad XT is pretty much designed to carry the kitchen sink where the Xdeepish set up is more of a streamlined minimalist approach.

Because of the modularity of the Nomad it doesn't really excel at anything. It's a general purpose rig that can be configured to do a lot of different types of diving. It dives steel tanks pretty well, and dives aluminum tanks decently. It provides enough lift for a pair of LP 85's, a stage, and a deco tank in a wet suit. Or, if you're diving dry you can probably add another stage bottle if your so inclined (but why?). On the other hand my Xdeepish rig can handle a pair of tanks, a deco bottle, and not much else.

The placement of the D-rings on the Nomad and the ability to access spools, reels, and anything else that's clipped off is fairly easy. In fact I find it easier to get at my spools and reels than on my bastardize rig.

You can configure the inflator hose to come over the shoulder or up from the waist. If you have it come up from the waist you can dump air from either the shoulder or the bottom. If you're diving cold water there are separate attachment points for an Argon bottle if you're so inclined. On my stealth I have one spot to dump air from and it's not always the easiest to get to for a variety of reasons.

Personally, I do not like the weight plate on the Nomad I think the Xdeep does a much better job. The Nomad is big and bulky and as such it's not the most convenient for traveling; the Xdeep is much better in this regard. That size and bulk is apparent in the water as well as it take a little bit more effort to swim thru the water.

My bastardized rig travels really well, swims nicely, and is capable of handling a fair amount of side mount specific diving scenarios as long as the dive plan isn't too demanding. On the other hand my Nomad is bigger, bulkier, takes more effort to get thru the water, but can do just about anything that you'd need it to.

Keep in mind that I'm a north Florida cave diver and our environment and needs are going to be different than in other places.

Hope it helps

I'm in Canada, Lake Ontario & St Lawrence River (1000 Islands), I dive a drysuit. I'm a back mount convert & new to sidemount. I had a transpac so for me it was in easy conversion. Muscle memory is in dead a benefit. I occasionally dive singles & I like knowing where everything is. I dive 80 aluminums side mount with no issues, but I have the tech butt-plate, not the traditional V shaped butt-plate.

If you're a new sm diver without experience, the xdeep will be much more plug and play for you. The nomad systems aren't always easy to trim out and you'll often see people needing shoulder weights. The LS is great too as noted above. I've been a huge xdeep fan for a while. Started with original wing and moved up to the tec and love it. I've put many people in my xdeep and they all trimmed out perfect immediately. And we're talking people of all sizes that sometimes barely fit my harness cause it was either too big or too small.

If you're a new sm diver without experience, the xdeep will be much more plug and play for you. The nomad systems aren't always easy to trim out and you'll often see people needing shoulder weights. The LS is great too as noted above. I've been a huge xdeep fan for a while. Started with original wing and moved up to the tec and love it. I've put many people in my xdeep and they all trimmed out perfect immediately. And we're talking people of all sizes that sometimes barely fit my harness cause it was either too big or too small.

How difficult is it to dive the xdeep with a single aluminum 80? I think I like the Hollis SMS75 and the Dive Rite but the where are you putting weights bothers me.

not hard, but you will want a 2lb clip weight that you can move from side to side as the tank empties.

How difficult is it to dive the xdeep with a single aluminum 80? I think I like the Hollis SMS75 and the Dive Rite but the where are you putting weights bothers me.

It's not. I personally don't use any special weight other than the weight I need for regular buoyancy. Some people will put a weight on their opposite hip but that really isn't necessary.

From someone that owned an SMS, skip it. It's not that awesome and sucks to travel with if you ever plan to travel. You also need the weight plate if you ever need extra weight. The stealth will do steels or ali tanks very easily and all of your weighting needs are integrated into the spine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom