Dive Rite Manifold Recall?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mempilot

Contributor
Reaction score
I installed a DR manifold on my OMS/Faber 98's about 6 months ago. I have approx. 50 dives on it. IMO, the manifold has too much thread showing, but DR said it was OK. Last week, my LDS called and said DR wants the manifold back, and to remove it immediately. They don't have a replacement yet. I asked if I was in danger. They said no, that's it's cometic.

Why do they want it back immediately if I'm not in danger and they don't have a replacement. Did one of these fail that anyone knows about? What's really going on here?

mempilot:
I installed a DR manifold on my OMS/Faber 98's about 6 months ago. I have approx. 50 dives on it. IMO, the manifold has too much thread showing, but DR said it was OK. Last week, my LDS called and said DR wants the manifold back, and to remove it immediately. They don't have a replacement yet. I asked if I was in danger. They said no, that's it's cometic.

Why do they want it back immediately if I'm not in danger and they don't have a replacement. Did one of these fail that anyone knows about? What's really going on here?

I have been using a DR 300 bar manifold for about a year and I too would be very interested to learn if there were a problem.

Well, I pulled the valves and manifold off the tanks today. It's getting sent back. I'm not screwing around with this. Now I'm pissed off, because they can't send a replacement anytime soon. I may be without this set of tanks for a while. Oh well, I'm down for a few weeks anyway, since I dislocated my shoulder yesterday diving. Time to recover and think about what else can kill me.

mempilot:
Well, I pulled the valves and manifold off the tanks today. It's getting sent back. I'm not screwing around with this. Now I'm pissed off, because they can't send a replacement anytime soon. I may be without this set of tanks for a while. Oh well, I'm down for a few weeks anyway, since I dislocated my shoulder yesterday diving. Time to recover and think about what else can kill me.
Get better soon :wink:

I wonder if the size of the tanks have something to do with it.
The Dia of your tanks is 8" and I'll bet the manifold is to short but the same manifold might work fine with 7- 7.25 in tanks.
Might be worth asking your LDS about it.
Fred

fgray1:
I wonder if the size of the tanks have something to do with it.
The Dia of your tanks is 8" and I'll bet the manifold is to short but the same manifold might work fine with 7- 7.25 in tanks.
Might be worth asking your LDS about it.
Fred
That's what I originally thought, but DR said it was a fit for those tanks. It actually seats fine and screws in plenty far. It's almost like the barrel was designed to fit too many different size tanks. I like the look, finish, and weight of the manifold. I don't like chrome, and I'm not a fan of the OMS manifold. I may see what the LDS would do on a Halcyon and see if DR would refund the dough.

Hey Mem. Might take a look at Thermo. Also, I am sure you are aware but just in case, the inside of those steels (nice choice by the way) are prone to flash rusting (a very fine layer of rust that almost instantly appears on the inside when exposed to moisture). You might want to get them VIP'd before reassembling. Alternatively you could go for a handy O2 cleaning (don't forget a/the manifold..) since you're down. Its highly recommended if you do any PP blending. Even better, you may find an Instructor/facility that will let you clean your own tanks as part of an O2 service technician course and certification.

Good idea. I need to touch up the outsides as well. I've dinged the paint and exposed the galvanized surface in several places.

I love the tanks. Negative to slightly negative with manifold throughout the dive. I have a friend with the 108's and a Thermo. I used them yesterday on the first dive. They'd be good tanks for 200+ fsw for me. The 98's give me enough for down to 200 based on my SAC and lost gas reserve.

Time to rebuild some regs while I'm down too. I hope this shoulder heals quickly. :(

you can easily "jam" 120cuft in a 98 (find a shop that specializes in tech and they won't have a problem putting 3300+psi in there). More than enough on the bottom. The 108's are a lot bigger - not worth the diff.

msandler:
you can easily "jam" 120cuft in a 98 (find a shop that specializes in tech and they won't have a problem putting 3300+psi in there). More than enough on the bottom. The 108's are a lot bigger - not worth the diff.
The lowest I fill them is 3000, and the owner of the LDS I do a lot of tech diving with fills them to 3300 if I need it. They are great tanks. I am only 5'8", so the height is perfect for kitting up.

Back
Top Bottom