Dive Rite LED 700 Review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

snowmaker

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I figured I would write this up since I was looking for info before I made this purchase and hope it helps other.

As my diving has progressed so has my need for light. As most I have had several hand held lights and decided it was time to move up to a canister light before this season started. Before this I have used a C8 with rechargeable battery for a few years. It's served me well but as I started to do more and more wreck diving I really needed something brighter.

Big factors in choosing this light where cost and it was a LED. While I would have liked a 21-watt light I really couldn't justify the cost right now. I wanted a LED light because I can be hard on my gear. I don't abuse it by any means but I want staff that can hold up to a few bumps and was worried I would destroy a HID. I also like to turn my light off at time and this it not an option with HID's. I have also become a huge fan of LED lights and the abuse they can take through my use of Surefire and Fenix lights.

Design and build are first rate. The light comes in a hard case that holds everything. Although I don't see myself traveling with the case it's just too big. There is a neoprene cover to protect the head when on land. I added a bolt snap to the light head so I can clip it off. The light comes with an elastic strap, that is adjustable, to hold the head to your hand. I wasn't sure about this until I got in the water with it. Adjusted properly you can use your hand and not worry about the light. It will stay in place.

This light is brighter and whiter then my C8. This light uses three separate LEDs in the head instead of one. This seems to defuse the light more then a single LED would but with nothing to test it against I canÃÕ say how much. I really like how white this light is and how it's just there when on my hand. Makes doing other thing easy.

I only dived this light once and that was in a big test basin for ships. Think over 14 million gallons. Poor lighting let me give it a small workout. I will write more when I can get it in the ocean hopefully next month.

I bought this light at Cave Adventures and have nothing but positive things to say about them.

Last edited:
Very curious to hear back from you about the "diffuseness" of the beam.

I rented one from Cave Adventurers and wasn't impressed with it.... BUT Edd and myself agreed it was probably a bad light.

The beam on it was bright and white, but was VERY diffuse as compared to HID, I couldn't signal my buddy worth a crap (I cave dive, so the light needs to be tight for signaling).

I'll probably rent another one next month and give it a 2nd try, hopefully with a different light head this time.

SHAMELESS PLUG, if you're in the Marianna area, Edd will let you rent any of the lights he carries for very cheap, it's a great way to test drive the various lights!

Very curious to hear back from you about the "diffuseness" of the beam.

Here's a video I shot in the cavern zone comparing the LED 700 and the MR11 HID.

Personally I like the MR11 for signaling, however I'm willing to sacrifice the sharpness of the light with a more robust light head. Breaking a bulb on a dive trip sucks, and it's happened to me every year in Mexico.

We also have a Salvo 12w LED. Don't have side by side comparison, but so far we like the Salvo more.

Here's a link that shows the beam compared to Dive Rite HID. HID's seem to have a better hot spot but I believe LED's are the future. The durable is a huge plus for LED's. I want to see one with a controller like I have in my Fenix that can switch between power settings and give you a strobe feature.

The Salvo seems to be better focused but it's using only one LED. Wonder why DR went with three.

Beam Comparisons for Dive Rite LED and HID Lights - Dive Gear Express

Good info guys!

I'll have to do another demo... first glance it appears that the light head I was using was worse than what's shown... but we were using it for signaling at distances double or triple what you guys are showing in some cases, and in ambient light (my bud and I are cavern divers at this point).

I strongly agree about the single versus three-LED head... I dunno why Dive Rite doesn't release a single-LED head, that would fix all the focus concerns!

I've put 5 dives on my 700 this weekend and was pretty impressed with it. Two others were using older 10w HIDs and the output from this light was very similar. Not going to be using it in caves. I'll have it out this week on a night dive to really see what it has. I also have a buddy who will be using a 10w DR HID (the light this one replaced) and then I'll report my final findings.

Overall, the quality is impressinve and the battery is holding a good charge now after a few cycles in my sink.

Back
Top Bottom