Dive Rite Backplate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use a Dive Rite BP &W set up. Once I dove with it the first time I felt like I had wasted 10 years diving without. I have purchased products from Tobin at DSS and have been very impressed by the guality and ingenuity of his line of products. I would, if ever necessary purchase a DSS BP&W. I doubt it will even be necessary unless I lose my DR or someone steals it! Either is a great choice. You can get much better prices on DR BTW.
PAul

paulithepin:
I use a Dive Rite BP &W set up. Once I dove with it the first time I felt like I had wasted 10 years diving without. I have purchased products from Tobin at DSS and have been very impressed by the guality and ingenuity of his line of products. I would, if ever necessary purchase a DSS BP&W. I doubt it will even be necessary unless I lose my DR or someone steals it! Either is a great choice. You can get much better prices on DR BTW.
PAul

So do you have a preference? I already have the DR TransPak (but I need to convert it to the SS BP).

jimdiverman:
He was quoting the whole rig. I know they would probably give me a discount, but I have noticed the prices in the shops are generally much higher than you can find the products elsewhere. Part of that is the factory warranty that they give.

Dive Rite is not ScubaPro/Aqualung. You could have bought that kit from Dive Sports for $399 and get full warranty. You could buy from DiveRiteExpress.com and get full warranty. You don't have to buy local to get full factory warranty. Which is highly unlikely you will ever need anyway.

ReefHound:
Dive Rite is not ScubaPro/Aqualung. You could have bought that kit from Dive Sports for $399 and get full warranty. You could buy from DiveRiteExpress.com and get full warranty. You don't have to buy local to get full factory warranty. Which is highly unlikely you will ever need anyway.

I asked the shop owner about that in the case of the Suunto, and he gave me a printout that Aqualung gave to them that says "Support your Authorized Aqua Lung Dealer", and a litany of reasons to buy from the local shop owner. Believe me, I am far from convinced that I need to buy from the local shop. I have been paying through the nose (out of ignorance) for years. First you pay for all the courses, all the manuals and the local shop trips, then you pay for local shop gear, the gear that the shop owner reps. I know this stuff is expensive, but I sometimes wondered if I couldn't do this on my own cheaper, and even better.

The Aqua Lung flyer goes on to say "When is a Bargain Not a Bargain?" and this is a quote... "... Any business that offers to sell and ship Aqua Lung or affiliate branded Scuba products by mail, telephone or Internet is NOT AN AUTHORIZED U.S. AQUA LUNG DEALER. If you purchase Aqua Lung Scuba products by mail, telephone or internet, you are purchasing from a non-authorized retailer and your products will not be covered by Aqua Lung America warranties."

It lists the following as affiliates: Aqua Lung, APEKS, Aqua Sphere, SUUNTO, Drager, Sea Quest. Deep See, U.S. Divers.

So, according to this, Aqua Lung won't supply any warranty, but the retailer must be supplying the warranty. I know that Aqua Lung and others "factory-trains" equipment techs, so this is not the issue that they proport it to be. But this is the message that is going out from the local dive shop. Obviously the Internet is hurting their businesses. When I pointed out to my local dive shop owner that I could get the Suunto D9 online for $1300, he asked "with the transmitter"? and I said yes. His price is $1700. I don't know what different lattitudes the Internet retailers have over the local dive shops, but you also don't have to pay tax on out-of-state on the Internet, and above a certain price, it is usually free shipping. So the local shop owners are at a great disadvantage in my opinion, unless they also have Internet sales, and view their shop as the high-end channel, and Internet as the commodity channel of business.

Jim, I had said "Dive Rite is not ScubaPro/Aqualung." I was saying you can buy Dive Rite online from an authorized dealer and get factory warranty. SP/AL are well known in the industry as having the most restrictive policies and the hardest nosed ones fighting online sales.

What a factory warranty is worth is for you to decide. The Suunto computers are user replaceable batteries. The batteries are cheap and easy to replace, and usually last longer than 3 years anyway. Best to get the battery kit which includes new lid and o-ring. The Scubapro/Uwatec are mostly not user replaceable. I seem to recall the factory charges over $100 for non-warranty replacements. But they usually last forever and a day. And Uwatec offers free batteries for life, or at least until they stop supporting that model.

The odds of an internal failure or flood on either are low but not likely fixable if it occurs so you pays your money and takes your chances.

I love my Dive Rite, but would seriously entertain the DSS set-up. I would need to try it out first, but the design intrigues me.

ReefHound:
Jim, I had said "Dive Rite is not ScubaPro/Aqualung." I was saying you can buy Dive Rite online from an authorized dealer and get factory warranty. SP/AL are well known in the industry as having the most restrictive policies and the hardest nosed ones fighting online sales.

What a factory warranty is worth is for you to decide. The Suunto computers are user replaceable batteries. The batteries are cheap and easy to replace, and usually last longer than 3 years anyway.

I just replaced the battery in my Nitek computer in September 2006. I bought that computer in early 2000. So the battery lasted better than 6 years. I understand what you are saying about Suunto. I like the computers. Incidently, I don't think the user can change a D9 battery. They have a special back on that model. I still like the Cobra 2, but I have not really looked that hard at what Dive Rite has now. I should do that before I make a purchase.

Thanks!

paulithepin:
I love my Dive Rite, but would seriously entertain the DSS set-up. I would need to try it out first, but the design intrigues me.

Since I already have the Transpak, I am going to repair the inflator and convert it to a BP. Then go from there...

You can't convert the transpac to a BP. Either buy a BP/W, or use the transpac. And if I was looking at a BP/W setup, I'd give serious conderation to the DSS setup. There are other good ones out there (Golem, Halcyon, Agir-Brokk) but the DSS has some unique features that many seem to like.

PerroneFord:
You can't convert the transpac to a BP. Either buy a BP/W, or use the transpac. And if I was looking at a BP/W setup, I'd give serious conderation to the DSS setup. There are other good ones out there (Golem, Halcyon, Agir-Brokk) but the DSS has some unique features that many seem to like.

That’s not entirely true.

If you using a single tank I would agree, but with doubles you can put the transpac on and then drop the back plate on top.

However Dive Rite makes plates for the transpac to be used with doubles

I have seen it used both ways.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom