Dive Rite 905 drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sas

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My buddy is the only one of our group still diving wet and has caved in to peer pressure (and probably the cold has a bit to do with it too :p) and wants to get a drysuit.

His main requirements are a very durable suit and one that is shell.

A local store is having a sale on Dive Rite 905 suits and was wondering if anybody here has any experience with them - good/bad?

Here is the link 905 EXP Drysuit for 2009 by Dive Rite - Dive Gear Express

They are selling here for 2300AUD (or 1716USD) which is about his budget. Here they usually sell for 3300AUD (not sure what is like in other countries but mostly gear is much more expensive in Australia).

If this suit is no good, what else to people suggest? A few people have said Bare suits but I am not sure about local dealers for that suit (still looking into it). He is probably not so keen on buying a suit he can't try on first so that will limit him to local suits. He is a fairy standard build so I doubt off the rack suits will be a problem for him.

His main type of diving is shallow shore dives or recreational boat dives and this is unlikely to change in the future. Rocky entry and exits are common as well hence the need for a durable suit. Would be worn in temperatures 7-16C (44F-60F).

The 905 is an awesome suit. I would have one if they fit me, but they don't. :( Dive Rite makes cave gear. Cave gear is tough. The 905 is made for caves. It is probably one of the more durable suits out there. It is made of Butyl rubber that is ultrasonically welded together.

Tell him to buy it if it fits.

I have a Dive Rite 905. It fits me great. Only have dove a few times but I do shore diving over rocks and suit looks great. It is tough and the latex seals are heavy grade latex. A buddy of mine has a Whites and he noticed yesterday before our dive how thicker my seals are.

I like Dive Rite cause they add the extras such as thigh pockets and warm neck collar as standard option and not an additonal option.

I am very pleased with my purchase and will purchase again IF this one wears out.

I have last year's 905 model (only minor changes from EXP) and love it! It's a great suit. Very comfy, easy to don, looks good, and dries quickly.

Only issue with mine is that the stock suit doesn't fit me very well. Maybe some of you other owners out could chime in here but I found that in comparing it with DUI's TLS 350 and CLX 450 the 905 runs a little "huskier", ie more space around the torso.

Per Dive Rite's size chart the front zip adds a couple of inches around the torso so I guess a back zip would have been the better option for me.

Ok cheers for the feedback! :) He will try one on this Thursday. Hopefully it will fit :) I would say he does not need any extra room about the torso (he has a thin build) so hopefully that is not an issue. He is planning on getting a backzip one as that seems to be what is available, not the front zip one...

Greatings Sas and I think your friend is making a wise choice. If possible take measurements or try on the suit and be critical. Dry suit fit is very important as you already know. My next DS will be a 905. I want it specifically for diving in 50º + water with a light undergarment. My dive buddy has a DS made by the same company and it is awesome. It is a back entry and that is the one I would recommend just because of the afore mentioned generous cut torso in the front entry style. One of the greatest advantages of the suit is its compact nature and toughness. I spent a significant amount of time inspecting the 905 front entry, I loved it. The pockets are a must, Pee valve a must, get boots that fit with wool socks on, pick the undergarment for the water temps that you dive. Do not be afraid to buy two if it is to be a all season suit. I wish I had done just that. Summer is brutal on thinsulate and worse on your dive buddies noses.
I wish I was joking. Sorry just my observations. Guess that is why I ordered the big bottle of Sport Wash, Ha! Ha!. Have fun and good luck.
CamG Keep diving....keep training....keep learning!

I got one last year, great suit. No problems so far with about a 100 dives with it.

Ok well my buddy tried on the suit today and it fit perfectly so he has ended up buying it. Not sure whether he got the front or the back zip in the end. Thanks for the comments :)

CamG:
The pockets are a must, Pee valve a must, get boots that fit with wool socks on, pick the undergarment for the water temps that you dive.

Cam, he said it comes with two thigh pockets and he got a Dive Rite undergarment to go with it. He too will be using it in mostly 50F+ temperatures (though, on rare days it can drop to 44F). No p-valve though, he doesn't need one (lucky! I'd love to get away with no p-valve myself!) He said the stock built-in boots fit well with thick socks so he will keep those. Over summer it gets to 22C/72F so he probably doesn't need two as wetsuit is fine over summer. I tend to switch to the drysuit at 15C/59F myself and he'll probably be the same.

I just purchased a 905EXP myself and am really looking forward to diving with it. I decided to switch back to a trilam suit and this was the most appealing one to me. From all the positive feedback I have read on this suit I think I will really enjoy diving it.

Good luck to your buddy with his.

Back
Top Bottom