Dive report: Stillwater cove, Sonoma Co.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Eric Sedletzky

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I just finished rebuilding my 1964 DA Aquamaster a few days ago with all new silicone upgraded parts and a complete rebuild kit.
I was itching to give it a try so I decided to go up to Stillwater and try it out.
I would have gone to Gerstle but I wasn't crazy on paying the $8.00 just for a quick experimental tank dive.
I was the only scuba diver there. I ran into several ab divers and even a few I knew.
The ocean was glass flat and vis was around 20 feet.

My rig was almost completely vintage. A steel 72 with a J valve and pull rod, double hose regulator, backpack with no BC, a set of turtle fins, an old school beavertail cut wetsuit with s/s twist locks, and that's it. I had a few weird looks from a few ab divers that also probably scuba divers. The only thing I was missing was an oval mask (picked one up at the pinnacles on the way home).

Getting used to the DH reg was something that took a while. I was a little apprehensive at first because I didn't know what to expect, with a fresh rebuild and all. I knew I did a good thorough job but still, until I actually got it underwater and breathed off it for a few minutes without incident would I be able to relax. I was pulling hard for air at first on the heads down decent, but then remembered that with DH regs you have to get the mouthpiece around the same level as the can or it will be like sucking through a straw. I remebered the protocol andgot the mouthpiece around the same level as the can and it smoothed out perfectly.
After I relaxed I managed to get in a really nice cruising dive all around the structure, up and over the rocks, out across the sand channels. I hit around 40 feet, reg still breathing great, I noticed I was a tad heavy at 40 so I figured I could probably shed a few pounds off my belt. I neutraled out at first at around 10 feet and on that type of dive I'd like it around 15 to 20 feet to start. Diving without any form of BC is incredibly liberating but it's also weighting critical.
I kept an eye on my watch and knew that the J valve was going to start singing to me any minute. Sure enough the reg started to pull hard so I reached back and pulled the J rod down and the breathing freed right up. Diving without any SPG really makes you pay attention to depth and time (and starting pressure).
I made my way up because I had never tested this particular J valve before to see at what pressure the spring was set for, so I actually had no idea how much air I had left.. It turned out when I checked it that there was around 400 psi left, so now I know.

One thing about using a double hose and aproaching fish. I noticed that I could literally slowly cruise right up to all sorts of criters without spooking them. I'm assuming that is because the exhaust bubbles exit behind your head and not in front of your face, or in their faces. Using a double hose and photography would be a very nice combination.

For my second dive a used a steel LP 95, my regular reg, spg, oxycheq wing, etc, fully modern.

I did an almost pure vintage dive juxtaposed by a fully modern dive. Very interesting day for me.

I wish I had known everybody was going to Gerstle, It would have been neat to put a few faces to names.

Maybe next time.

What day did you go up there? We were at Gerstle on Saturday. Pretty nice conditions. Ryan and I scootered way the heck out into the ocean, until we hit 100'. Vis was hit or miss, but pretty good in the cove, and from what I have read, better than Monterey.

Sorry we missed you Eric. Michelle and I were the only two divers at Gerstle Sunday except for an OW class. We enjoyed the same 20' vis you had. On the drive back I'd warmed up enough to be tempted to pull into Stillwater and check it out, but the lure of a cold beer at home was tugging on me and I kept going.

What day did you go up there? We were at Gerstle on Saturday. Pretty nice conditions. Ryan and I scootered way the heck out into the ocean, until we hit 100'. Vis was hit or miss, but pretty good in the cove, and from what I have read, better than Monterey.

I was up there Sunday.

It would have been a great photo if we were all together on shore and somebody snapped a picture. You two guys with drysuits, dry gloves, scooters, long hoses, can lights, etc,
and me with nothing but a plate, a tank, and a double hose.

Kind of a contrast, eh?

Why are those Devo tunes going through my head? :)

Evolution? :wink:

Yes,
Evolution and Revolution
Minimalism and Maximumism
Look at me, no, Look at me
I like to spend money, I don't like to spend money
Yin and Yang

But we all dive the same places, and at the end of the day we all go home friends.:wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
One of these days, I'm going to want to follow you around with my camera.

Should be fun to document.

The only way I can keep up with a backpack diver is to use my scooter.

You can have my can light the day I stop diving though. Well until they come out with something smaller that produces the same light output. Some gear just makes the dive more enjoyable, when going slow and checking out all the big and small stuff. Okay, so really I am a wuss and never giving up my drysuit.

The only way I can keep up with a backpack diver is to use my scooter.

You can have my can light the day I stop diving though. Well until they come out with something smaller that produces the same light output. Some gear just makes the dive more enjoyable, when going slow and checking out all the big and small stuff. Okay, so really I am a wuss and never giving up my drysuit.

Brightstar has that 24 watt HID hand held. I'm still thinking of picking up that line.

Back
Top Bottom