Dive Report - Lake Lanier - 1/15/2005

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Corigan

Contributor
Reaction score
A few of us decided to make the trek out to lake lanier for some fun. ScubaPT, JkSteger, his brother, and I were all that was present. It was a little chilly topside. It was 48 degrees on the surface and the wind was pretty fierce. I would estimate in the 20-30 mph range. We were going to go on a Search and Recovery mission for ScubaPT's mask, but the conditions at that dive site were pretty horrible. Heavy chop and the water was nothing but mud and silt. So we ventured out in the Cove on the backside of west bank and went out into the forest down to about 75'. Viz was pretty good and around 15'. The water was 50F at the surface and 48F at 75'. I had quite a bit of fun and am looking forward to diving with everyone again. I am possibly looking to catch a dive this upcoming weekend. Right now they are forcasting showers on Sat. though, so who knows what may actually happen. Next weekend could be my last oppurtunity for local dives in January, as I am tenatively going to Crystal River the last weekend of this month.

The Kracken and Clif were missed on this dive. I hope Clif feels better soon. I also hope all went well with the Kracken's duties this weekend, as his baby would have been very nice/beneficial this prior weekend. She was duly missed.

Matt

I had a great time but "Burrrrrrrrr" it was cold! One word of advice...if your diving in 47-50 degree water wear something thicker than a 1.5mm Titanium lined anything under a 3mm jumpsuit. If not you will freeze trust me! Don't ask how I know this.Anyway I look forward to diving at West Bank Park again real soon. Uhm, with thicker suit.

Jeremy

Sounds like a good time :)

I stayed dry :( springs are flooded and the gulf is a mess, ugh!

OK, guys !!!
Sorry I missed you.
I promise that from now on, when we hit WBP I'll come up in Wally so we can have a place to regroup and recover.

SuPrBuGmAn:
Sounds like a good time :)

I stayed dry :( springs are flooded and the gulf is a mess, ugh!

It sure was a good time Mat. Maybe one day you'll be able to make it up this way and dive this mudhole, heh. Sorry to hear about the crummy conditions down your way. :( Maybe buying an annual pass to vortex might not be a bad idea. $200 is steep, but would give you that option on ever dive trip incase your primary site is hosed. It would pay for itself in 8 trips. It could end up really paying for itself in the long run. I hope the conditions are better for you at Cypress next weekend. I am thinking about trying to talk my instructor into going to vortex with me next weekend to finish some training. So I might be in the area, if I am I will make sure I give you a call. Take care,

Matt

JKSteger:
I had a great time but "Burrrrrrrrr" it was cold! One word of advice...if your diving in 47-50 degree water wear something thicker than a 1.5mm Titanium lined anything under a 3mm jumpsuit. If not you will freeze trust me! Don't ask how I know this.Anyway I look forward to diving at West Bank Park again real soon. Uhm, with thicker suit.

LOL, wow. I didn't realize when you were talking about layering that you were talking about layering a 3 mil. I can't believe you dove in that. If I would have known that I wouldn't have taken us so deep. :) Heh, next time you can navigate.. :)

D: Wally would be a great asset, and much appreciated. :) The heater works real well!

Matt

Corigan:
LOL, wow. I didn't realize when you were talking about layering that you were talking about layering a 3 mil. I can't believe you dove in that. If I would have known that I wouldn't have taken us so deep. :) Heh, next time you can navigate.. :)

D: Wally would be a great asset, and much appreciated. :) The heater works real well!

Matt

NP. A man has got to know his wetsuit limitations..Ha. It was good just wanted to try out something. It will not be warn again at Lanier. Maybe my 3mm jumsuit under a 5mm would be better..LoL.

Would like for us to possibly meet up and drive to Jocasse one Sat. morning. I think that would be fun too.

Oh and The Kracken, your baby was truly missed by all of us. Ha Ha.

Jeremy

Corigan:
It sure was a good time Mat. Maybe one day you'll be able to make it up this way and dive this mudhole, heh. Sorry to hear about the crummy conditions down your way. :( Maybe buying an annual pass to vortex might not be a bad idea. $200 is steep, but would give you that option on ever dive trip incase your primary site is hosed. It would pay for itself in 8 trips. It could end up really paying for itself in the long run. I hope the conditions are better for you at Cypress next weekend. I am thinking about trying to talk my instructor into going to vortex with me next weekend to finish some training. So I might be in the area, if I am I will make sure I give you a call. Take care,

Matt

Vortex is fun, but I'm not looking to dive it too too often. Cypress has a tremendous amount of flow so it clears out easily - only have to really worry about things there when the water levels are already above a bankfull(they were last weekend). We'll be jumping into salt pretty soon anyway :) high-tides are back.

If you end up getting out this way next weekend, shoot me a line 251-978-4089 if you've lost the number.

JKSteger:
NP. A man has got to know his wetsuit limitations..Ha. It was good just wanted to try out something. It will not be warn again at Lanier. Maybe my 3mm jumsuit under a 5mm would be better..LoL.

In November the water temp was 62 degrees above the thermocline. I assume in the dead of summer (July/August) that that skin with the 3mm might be adequate if staying about the thermocline.

Would like for us to possibly meet up and drive to Jocasse one Sat. morning. I think that would be fun too.

Yes, that would be great fun. I really liked it up there, we could do the hothole at keowee too. Once we get that planned we should put it up here way in advance so some of the SC/NC folk could possibly make the dives with us.

Bugman: I still have the number. I have a scuba group on my cell phone. :) I hope you have fun at crypress. One of these days I am going to make it down that way to go with you all to Crypress, those pictures that you and Seayoda took are spectacular. I'll let you know if I make vortex springs this weekend or not. Cya,

Matt

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom