Dive Report: Cultus Lake - Night Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mustang_5l

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Dive Report : Cultus Lake

Thought I would write this to give some perspective fresh water lake divers a glimpse of what Cultus has to offer.

Randy and I headed out to the lake around 9:30pm a few nights ago and we parked along the road just before the parking area. I’ve heard conflicting stories about getting ticketed here or even towed, so don’t blame me…

It was freaking dark so we had to use our backup LED dive lights to illuminate the area to get suited up. I think we must have scared some unsuspecting people as we were getting some pretty unusual looks from cars passing by.

Finally we made our way down to the lake, a short walk from where we parked. There is a little path leading to the water and the entrance is between two large tree stumps. Watch out for the branches hidden underwater.

The water was warm and felt like I was in the Caribbean… well almost. I switched on my HID light and lit up the whole lake. Visibility was 30ft easy and you could see everything in the shallows. We quickly descended and found many fish to be out. We saw some large trout and some small stickleback fish. The most interesting part of the dive was seeing some huge crayfish, which could easily make a great meal.

The dive was pretty uneventful and went off without a hitch. We kept it pretty shallow and explored the hidden nooks and crannies of the driftwood and sunken logs. We made our way over to the picnic area and around the dock where we turned the dive and returned along the same route we came.

When we surfaced my light illuminated all the trees and surface area of the water. I’m certain we must have freaked out some campers wondering what all the lights underwater where all about. It must have looked like a car driving underwater!

We exited the same way we came in and proceeded to pack up for the evening.
Total dive time 45min max depth approximately 40ft.

I would most certainly do this again.

Back
Top Bottom