Dive Report - Breakwater Grand Circuit - 26 July 09

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ben_ca

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Scooter dive at BW... Grand Circuit (Wall-Barge-Met Fields-Wall)
Max Depth: 64 fsw
Vis: 5-10
Time: 114 mins
Temp: 50

Sorry no pictures... Ted snapped some hopefully I will amend the report later. (yeah I know it's not the same :( )

Picked up Ted... as he was waiting he found a flaw in his new drysuit neck seal... a little aquaseal and duct tape and we were ago once again... got there late and it was a bit crowded but still parking available... we brought our scooters to make sure we didn't have to sweat too bad.

Entry was unremarkable but as we hit the trigger and got past the bend we started to get more and more sea nettles! Dodge, duck dive and dodge was all we could do to avoid them... because of all the maneuvering we missed the marker on our first pass... only to hit it on the way back. All the way around the grand circuit we we bombarded by the sea nettles and took a few stings on the forehead.:doh2:

After making it up the stairs we saw 2 X-Tables in the grass and commented about how in the "old days" whenever you saw a table you knew it was one of the local (5thD-X/BAUE) crew... We rinsed off at the shower and to our pleasant surprise we actually did know the table guys... Maybe the good ole days are still here

Finished around 230 and had to rush to get out to make Harry's event. Got bogged down at 156 and 101 all the way to Gilroy.

Overall it was a good day to cherish memories and make some new ones.

Thanks for shairng Ben, I was there on Saturday and did two dives. I hadn't been in the water in 30 days and it was really nice. We saw what was the beginning of an invasion with a couple Sea nettle soldiers but we didn't stay there Sun for the commencement of war on your scooters...

MG

No jellies in shallow at Lovers Beach. The Cypress Sea was anchored in the cove for most of the day. Saw a shovelnose guitarfish or thornback (couldn't see all of it buried in the sand)

I heard Carmel reports at about 25' vis.

Steve

No jellies in shallow at Lovers Beach. The Cypress Sea was anchored in the cove for most of the day.

Steve

We were on the Cypress Sea doing our training dives for ReefCheck California both days. Not good "sightseeing" conditions, but wonderful for training to handle task loading in low vis, surge and frequent kelp entanglement.

Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks for putting that together... If I wasn't an idiot forgetting my memory card we would have had more... Oh well maybe next time.

The second Sea Nettle cutting across your frame like that sums it up... Those guys were everywhere...

LA traffic jam down there!

No jellies in shallow at Lovers Beach. The Cypress Sea was anchored in the cove for most of the day. Saw a shovelnose guitarfish or thornback (couldn't see all of it buried in the sand)

I heard Carmel reports at about 25' vis.

Steve

right out side whalers cove we had 30+ foot vis today, inside the cove was less than 10' and 10'' in some areas. Great day of diving at Point Lobos we were team 9 and there was a whole line of them behind us at 9 am...

Great report guys, thanks for sharing!

The second Sea Nettle cutting across your frame like that sums it up...

Yeah, it looks like he came out of nowhere! How big would you say the bell was?

Looks like we missed out on a fun tour! No diving for us this weekend.

We wet tested the inflatable on Saturday. It performed well and is just about ready for the ocean this weekend.

Great report guys, thanks for sharing!

Yeah, it looks like he came out of nowhere! How big would you say the bell was?
about bigger than my hand for the larger ones.. And as small as tennisball sized

Peter let's go and do some explorin'. You know me Underwater and Exploring and I'm all over it :)

I'm an UE kinda guy :wink:

Posted via Mobile Device

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom