Dive Report Aug. 25, 27 & 30

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

algulfdiver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Dive Report written by Linda @ GGD

Hello divers and greetings from the beach!
We start our dive report this week with a Spearfishing trip. Gary, Steve, John and Steven went on a little buddy trip. We have to get Gary under the water every now and then or he gets grumpy. They headed out to the 50-50 Tug to begin the day. For those of you not familiar with this dive it is a picturesque skeleton of a push tug in about 80 ft. 14 or so miles southeast of the pass. Gary and John saw quite a few fish including many spotted moray eels toad fish and really big angel fish. The spot was loaded with flounder and they managed to get enough to stock our freezer for awhile. Steve and John also went down and got flounder on this spot. Next they checked out a few GPS numbers on their way to the next dive but nothing too interesting. They decided to move onto the Dutch Banks. When they got down they saw 5 or 6 octopus. This spot was also covered in flounder. Steve got his first fish with his new spear gun(bought of course at Gary's Gulf Divers) little commercial there. He got a 20 inch snapper,good job Steve! Onto the Allen for their 3rd dive site. There was nothing of size to shoot but a good dive never the less.

On Sunday the 27 th, we took a group of divers heavily into photography from Mobile to the Navy tug. The vis was phenomenal at 80 foot .These divers said they should have some awesome wide angle and macro photos. We will get them on the web site as soon as possible. Our second dive was on the Dutch Banks.They saw many anemone. A 16 year old did his 1st deep dive with his dad. Dad said he thinks his son is a natural. We are looking forward to seeing these pictures.

Today Aug. 30th We had an inshore trip go with a couple from Tennessee, a couple from Kentucky and 1 local from Daphne. Our 1st dive took us to the Allen liberty ship.This site has a maximum depth of 94 feet. Everyone agreed vis was about 30 to 40 feet. The first thing we saw on this site were the abundance of moon jellies from 20 to 60 foot.They were not to bad to navigate through after that. The water temp was 83 with a slightly cooler temp on the bottom. Our second dive again takes us to the 3 mile barge.The Jew fish ( politically correct Goliath Grouper) we have reported seeing is still there.Just a few jellies at this site were reported. Our divers spent about an hour at this place because it is a shallow dive at 38 feet.As we leave this last dive we all agree a stop at Tacky Jacks would be a perfect end to a great dive day.

We haven't heard too much about beach diving this week except one dive at the whiskey wreck. Jason and John said the vis started out at about 10 foot but the wind shifted to the west and went to about 5 in no time. Don't tell them you heard it here but blue crab are abundant. We think nobody dived the pass this week due to high tide at 4,5, and 6 in the morning. I guess we are not that dedicated.

With many trips planned for this holiday weekend we should have detailed accounts of our trips. A few spaces available so call the shop if your interested. Keep Diving!!!!!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Linda does the Dive Report once a week and it is posted on our web site. :wink:

Great reports, sounds like the offshore sites are seeing some excellent visibility!

Well I’ll be darn he said they didn’t see none worth shooting from what I hear he couldn’t hit the broad side of a barn from the inside with all the doors closed. :wink:

Humm I just bought my new gun from there too be he fail to tell me that I would not need to aim as high with the Rhino as I did with my other gun I’m being professional here and saying no names on my other paper weight But Damn I do like that Rhino Thanks for the Gun. Did you ever get the 26" SS cable bands in yet?

Love the dive report I do hope to see more coming from you all

Back
Top Bottom