Dive Report -Attempt at the Blue Fire - 8/1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ReneeC

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Sunday Morning 18 intrepid souls ventered out to test the rumors of ripping currents at the Blue Fire. Of some concern was the small group of AOW students on board but they were in good hands so off we went. I had solicited some additional DM assistance as I have been hoping to dive this wreck and this would be my third attempt. We arrived at the site determined to give it our best shot despite warnings of impossible currents from the local fisherman en route.

Oscar took the lead for the first jump and hit the wreck dead on! Unfortunately he surfaced shortly after to state that although he held on for dear life he was ripped off the wreck and could not advise continuing the dive. So another shot at the BF lost.

We headed over to the Sheri Lynn to find similar conditions and finally decided to move to shallower waters. This time Barry made the jump on the Princess Britney but came up slightly short and to the north. The current took him into the rebar path that leads to another ship - I believe it was the Paraiso (anyone who knows for sure please correct me if this is the wrong name) - where (after giving us all major heart attacks because he didn't surface for almost 20 minutes!) he was able to hook up. We decided to drop the techies in the group into the current above the Britney and then brought the others to the ball on the Paraiso. Currents were manageable and everyone had a nice dive. Including myself! I decided to hold back and do the untie since there was plenty to do on board. Barry and I went down together, did a short cruise around and through the wreck and then a lovely slow drift back up right over the Rio Miami Tug.

We ended the day with a leisurely bug locater trip at the car wrecks and then headed in just before the storms hit. My day was rounded out by a visit by a big manatee as I was washing down the boat. Believe it or not this was my first encounter in 7 years in Florida with a manatee in the wild!

I'll be out of town this coming weekend and wish you all a great time diving with the out-of-towners! Anyone interested in joining me on the following weekend for a shallow wreck / reef from the boat? If we have enough interest I can negotiate some pretty good rates for us.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom