Dive Report: Another Port Hunter trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DanSinks

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
It was another NICE dive on the Port Hunter! This was my 5th dive on Port Hunter, this ship sank during WWI and is largely intact.
I used a GPS mark on my Lowrance to find it and anchored near the bow.
Lots of big tautog and many small ones, many black sea bass and some scup, also a lot of various other fish, including a trigger fish. Something was laying eggs since there were globs of egg clusters.
The SB would not let me post a video, it said file too big.
Attached are pics of the rudder and bow, I think that rudder is about 12' tall but that is a guess, it's cool to see the ship towering above, that is about 80 fsw.
note that the bow is leaning towards the port side while the stern, 380 ft away, is leaning towards the starboard.
I have a lot of footage in various PH dives, would like to make a vid including different parts of it once I learn DaVinci Resolve.

Attachments

• 20240914_092851.jpg
    20240914_092851.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 27
  • port_hunter_bow_wreck_reel_01.jpg
    port_hunter_bow_wreck_reel_01.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 22
  • port_hunter_rudder_01.jpg
    port_hunter_rudder_01.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 25
Fantastic! I didn’t even know it existed. Would love to see some video when available.

Erik

Here is a little more information....
The dive started by following the anchor rope down to the anchor, which was about 46 fsw, see the dive dept profile, then went to the bow at 60', then back to the anchor(I pulled it closer to the bow) then I knew time was limited if I expected to make it to the rudder and back, so moved along the starboard side which is a shallowest part of the dive, looking into holes and into the center of the ship(see pics) then got to the stern, which is the deepest part, looked around the rudder area then needed to wrap up(see pic of Shearwater at 73) so moved back along the starboard 380 ft back the the bow and up the anchor line.

Attachments

• 20240914_092535.jpg
    20240914_092535.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 17
  • Port_Hunter_fish_egg_cluster_01.jpg
    Port_Hunter_fish_egg_cluster_01.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 18
  • Port_Hunter_mid_ship_view_01.jpg
    Port_Hunter_mid_ship_view_01.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 18
  • Port_Hunter_shearwater_73ft_01.jpg
    Port_Hunter_shearwater_73ft_01.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 15
Normally I have been able to hook the anchor onto the Port Hunter, this time it ended up in front of the bow. My boat has not touched salt water in almost 2 years due to mechanical problems, so I'm a little rusty with getting the anchor on it(actually, I was running a bit late so dropped anchor quickly, it was dead slack). My GPS mark for the Port Hunter bow was a result of a previous dive I attached a float marker to the tip of the bow then motored the boat over that to get the mark. So should drop anchor west of that. There are hazards to having the anchor tangled up in the wreck so my favorite anchor spot is just north of mid ship gunnel.

There is a lot of current in the sound so the Port Hunter is a slack tide dive. The time of slack was from the NOAA Current Tables for Hedge Fence Gong buoy #22, see attached chart.

Attachments

• Port_Hunter_chart_01.jpg
    Port_Hunter_chart_01.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 16
It was another NICE dive on the Port Hunter! This was my 5th dive on Port Hunter, this ship sank during WWI and is largely intact.
I used a GPS mark on my Lowrance to find it and anchored near the bow.
Lots of big tautog and many small ones, many black sea bass and some scup, also a lot of various other fish, including a trigger fish. Something was laying eggs since there were globs of egg clusters.
The SB would not let me post a video, it said file too big.
Attached are pics of the rudder and bow, I think that rudder is about 12' tall but that is a guess, it's cool to see the ship towering above, that is about 80 fsw.
note that the bow is leaning towards the port side while the stern, 380 ft away, is leaning towards the starboard.
I have a lot of footage in various PH dives, would like to make a vid including different parts of it once I learn DaVinci Resolve.

What was the water temperature?

What was the water temperature?
It's not easy to see in the pic but the Shearwater shows temp to be 68 degrees at 73'

I was able to edit and post this video, not sure why no comments are enabled on youtube.
Please let me know if you see any problems.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom