dive report 8-24 alabama point jetties & whiskey wreck

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

amadus98

Contributor
Reaction score
Once again a great dive in the gulf shores area. With the help of superbugman and yahoo maps i was able to locate where my next dive adventure would take place. High tide was around 8ish and i pulled into gulf rd parking lot around 845ish... lolol lucky for me I wasnt meeting up with anyone so i wasnt holding up the show. took a quick survey of the place dawned my gear and headed to the water. Entered right at the corner where the jetty rocks meet the seawall. water temp was a cool 86 degrees, and no surf which made for real easy entrance and exit. Took a compass reading hit the deflate thingy on my whatchamawhozit that holds my tanks on my back and headed south. the vis started off 10-12 but cleared up quickly, for the most part of the dive it was around 16-18 ft mark. I saw lots of sealife and a big-ole octipus the size of a good medium peperoni pizza.With his legs streched out he looked alot bigger. had a total bottom time of 74 min and a max depth of 28 feet. The surge was minimal and it was a great place and im lookin forward to going again.

After a quick stop to Garys gulf divers (great shop and people highly recomended) to help the off gassing we were off to the whiskey wreck. We were greated to high surf and strong surge and once we were in the water we thought heck we are here we might as well go for it. After i hit the deflate thingy again and hit the bottom in about 6 ft i looked over at my dive buddie Liz who at 3 feet away was barely visible ... lolol
SO let the adventure begin, after a short crawl along the bottom i ran into the wreck. Tied off the dive flag which was fun all its own because of being tossed around like hotdog in a washmachine. After 1 lap of the site crawling along and being tossed around we untied our lonly dive flag and crawled along the botton back to shore. We had a dive time of a whopping 26 min and max depth of 15 ft with an outstanding viz of 3 ft. All in all it was a good adventure everyone made it out safe and had a good day. Hey ya win some and ya lose some. At least now i know what conditions are like when the surf is up... lololol Quick stop for lunch and fill up the old truck with fuel and we were off for good old home and the couch of death for a nap.

Any day you get out of the water safely is a good one! :D Thanks for the reports.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom