Dive report 8/13 aboard the Atlantus

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaCobra

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
The quarry dust has been accumulating a little thick on my gear and I was long overdue for a salt water soaking. I got a chance to sneak out with my old pals aboard the Atlantus out of AC, NJ. American Dive Supply had the charter and they were gracious enough to offer a spot for myself and a student of mine doing his first ‘joisey wreck dive.

The day was near perfect as a laid back crew of divers headed out of flat calm seas to the first destination, the Sachem. I was amazed that I was the only onboard that has dove that wreck, which is just a fun dive in about 60fsw. Not much is left but the outline, some ribs and various piles of decking. Also, just as amazed at the amount of fish all over the wreck!

Quite a number of fish stringers got filled up on that dive. Shaner, the mate, busted a nice flounder; 27” and 7.2 pounds! Of course he may never have seen that doormat if someone wasn’t kind enough to point it out to him. Unfortunately I did not have my WOFD (weapon of flounder destruction) handy, so I took on the role of pointer instead of hunter. Just glad I could help.

Second dive we headed off to the Double East, which again no one else on board has dove, and actually, they still haven’t. Pretty sure I dropped down on the Granite Wreck, since it was an old barge full of giant slabs of granite. Again, just a tremendous amount of fish all over the place and stringers and goody bags were filled.

Both dives had pea soup vis on the surface down to about 25fsw, then your popped into very clear water with 30 to 40 foot of vis. It was dark as the schmutzik above blocked out the sunlight, but plenty still came through. Water was a comfy 58 on the bottom and full of marine life.

Just a great day on the water with a fun bunch of folks. Looking forward to many more.

Thanks for the report, Jeff.

Can't imagine 30-40 ft viz in Jersey. Do you have any pics to post from the pea soup dive?

sorry, no pics. I had a student I wanted to focus on, so I left spear and camera behind. This vis was dark, but quite nice, could see the wreck clearly from about 30fsw and could make out most divers as we all swam about our business. I do find better vis down South, too bad there are not more boats.

Jeff

Back
Top Bottom