Dive Report: 25.Apr.2008 - Point Lobos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bbianchi

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Sorry for the delay, I have been overly busy lately, now on to my overdue reports!

When we arrived at Lobos I was quite pleased to see things looking as calm as they did. Perhaps today would be my chance for a good set of Lobos dives. I checked out the conditions and things were looking much calmer than my last time at Point Lobos. However the tide was way out, so entry was looking like it would be fun. Either way Josh (SB: AzDiver23) and I were ready to go, so we began assembling our gear and getting ready to go.
Entry wasn’t as bad as I had thought. I went ahead and put on my fins prior to going in. This seemed to work out quite well, as I just side stepped out and once to the edge I crouched down and fell to my side right on in. It was an amazingly beautiful day at and I was enjoying it on our swim out. Since this was Josh’s first dive here we swam out a little ways (about the beginning of middle reef) and then dropped down.

I guess after the few days of rough seas again there were some less fortunate jellies that didn’t make it. Granted this appeared to be good for the anenomies (that I did not see my last time here) as there were several apparently trying to eat them. There were also several starfish piles trying to eat some jellies as well. While cruising through the kelp and over the reef we did see some nudi’s and several fish as well. I was pleasantly surprised to see the vis open up some past about 40′. Fish wise we saw lingcod, senorita’s, and I also believe a sheephead or two. It is a much better experience there with less surge and plenty of sunlight! Seeing all of the kelp stocks and large rocks with all the life clinging to them was amazing. We made it to about 50′ and what I think was almost the beginning of the wall when we turned back.

On our way back there really wasn’t all that much that stuck out for us to see. I was fairly happy with my navigation as well. We surfaced when we were pretty close as it was getting a little rocky and kelpy and I wanted to see where we were roughly. So we did our safety stop and popped up. We were at the end of the parking lot and close to the side there as well. I took a bearing to get us out past the kelp and we went back down and swam under it all until we were past it. We surfaced at this point and were both very pleased with this dive.

DIVE #13: 49′ Depth for 00:41 minutes (Started with 3400 PSI ended with 1450 PSI) with 49F water temperatures. We had about 20-25′ of vis. This dive was with EANx32, and I finished with a PO2 of 0.79.

After our 1:26 Surface Interval we geared back up and began our second dive. We were both pretty excited about the conditions and Josh wanted to try and go a little deeper this time. Which I was fine with, it just meant we needed a longer surface swim.

We swam out a good way and then finally dropped down. When we dropped we were on the left side of the reef and continued out along it towards the wall. Again it was a very scenic dive, with lots going on and great vis. As we kept going deeper the vis kept getting better. There were some much larger lingcod on this dive, just hanging out. We swam quite a bit this time to make it out along the wall, but it was worth it. Once to about 70 feet, I couldn’t believe how much the vis had opened up. We didn’t hang out at that depth for too long as Josh was on air and I didn’t want to make him have to make a deco stop.

On our way back we saw a decent amount of jellies and some very large anenomies that I didn’t notice on the way out. Mainly because they were on the other sides of rocks and I couldn’t see them initially. Once we were in the shallow sandy area I tried to keep us no deeper than 18′. We continued along and once at about 15′ I ran into a school of senorita’s, it was amazing! There had to be 40-50 of them, and I just started swimming along with them in the middle of their school. It was very cool. We then continued on to about 13′ and then we did our safety stop for 5 minutes. By this point we spent probably a good 20 minutes at 18′ or less. We then surfaced and completed the very short swim to the ramp.

DIVE #14: 67′ Depth for 00:38 minutes (Started with 3400 PSI ended with 1200 PSI) with 50F water temperatures. We had about 30-40′ of vis. This dive was with EANx33, and I finished with a PO2 of 1.00.

Here are two surface pics!

We actually stopped by on the 25th to check out the area. Being as that was our first time there we wanted to see the lay of the land if you will :) It was very tempting though to hit the water as the Ranger said only 9 teams showed up. We started to check out the area around 3:30 or 4 but ended up leaving our gear in the truck.

Weather was perfect and water conditions are as you described - excellent. We ended up diving Saturday morning at Lovers Point which also turned out to be fantastic weather and overall ok vis.

Not sure where you are from, but if you find yourself in the area again you have to dive there. If your new to the site the middle reef is a nice dive and can take you out a way. There is of course much more to do there too.

Just swim out to the middle (a little past the end of the parking lot) and drop down. Its a bit of a v shape with two sand channels on either side. You can go out due north and come back due south.

If you need a buddy on a friday let me know, as I can dive most fridays.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom