Dive Report - 19.Apr.2008 Del Monte Beach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bbianchi

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Today was the Dream Divers Earth Day cleanup beach dive. I arrive at Del Monte Beach at about 7:15am and checked in with the staff. Apparently either I mis-read the flyer or they were running behind, but we didn’t start orientation until 9am. After that it was off gear up and then head into the rough seas.

A little before 10 we made our way into the surf. It was a difficult entry for many of the people at the event. We swam out quite a way, to where the warf begins and thats where we dropped down. The vis was not so good, maybe 8′ or so. Also there was some surge, but not as bad as Lobos last weekend. We swam around looking for trash, and came across little things here and there, nothing too exciting. Then after we had swam a ways slightly East of due North I found a dead ray of some kind. It was laying upside down and a spider looking crab that was probably 3 feet across all spread out was eating him up. After finding that I believe we swam NW for a little ways and came across a sunken boat. It looked to be perhaps 12′ or so feet long, it was blue and had quite a bit of life on it. Granted we could have considered it trash had there not been so much life on it and attempted in the surge to bring it to the crane to hoist it out, but that would not have worked in this case. Once we were at the boat I looked down at my compass to get my bearings for us to start heading back and almost lost my buddy due to the surge and poor vis!

On the way back I found a Coor’s Light can, w00t! :wink: Aside from that not much else other than the patches of really low vis. My guess is some other diver had stirred things up, or perhaps it was from us. On the way back we swam along/under the pier a little, and there was what appeared to be a dead fish COVERED in Sun Stars. Unfortunately, it was a little too surgy so we swam out from under and back over to the wall where we descended. I gave us a nice 3:00 safety stop at about 17 feet and then up we went for our tiring swim back.

On the exit the surf was still rough and made getting out that much more tiring :wink:.

DIVE #10: 30′ Depth for 00:48 minutes (I tried a new breathing technique from Bruce and still had 1350 upon ascent) with 55F water temperatures. We had again about 8′ of vis.

This was dive #5 for me. Finally put that log book to some use! The entry/exit from shore was a bummer. The surf today was about what it was like when I took my open water class at Breakwater, also really surgy like today as well. I'm really looking forward to not getting knocked over in the surf for every shore entry.

Found a few pieces of trash. An old pipe of some sort, coffee cup lid, little things here and there. Also found what looked like a scuba tank boot (or perhaps it was just some random black piece of plastic that happened to be in the shape of a tank boot?). Although how it got dislodged from the tank remains a mystery to me...

I was pleasantly surprised in the fact that my air consumption rate went way down from my previous 4 open water dives in the class (been practicing in the pool and could see my air consumption rate begin to slowly go down for each pool dive. But I thought it would be significantly higher in the ocean than in the pool :D). We were down for 48 mins and I surfaced with 1560 psi. In the class I was at ~25' depth, down for ~25 mins, and typically surfaced with ~1200 psi.

Aside from the entry/exit and bad vis, I did enjoy the dive and the Earth Day event. Not to mention I got to do a little something good for the environment.

Glad to have met up with you today Brandon. Hope to dive with you again sometime, preferably in better conditions.

Great experience dive for you guys huh?

I stopped by after our Reef Check boat dives got cut short by the snotty conditions... Looks like you guys were having fun none the less.

I forgot to mention in the first post that this is my first EANx dive as well.

Yea I was trying to remember to work on air consumption. I burned some extra on my BCD, I think I need to take out some weight but today wasnt a day to experiment. Im going to drop two LBS tomorrow on my first dive and go from there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom