Dive Report: 04.May.2008 South Monastery

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bbianchi

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
As I said, I was now hooked on Monastery.

We began Sunday at 8:00am at Monastery with Devin (SB: dhammer), Jeff, Jessica, and I. We did a good survey of the conditions and decided that we were good to go and began gearing up. However the surf had a little more height to it today, but it wasn’t discouraging.

Once at the beach, entry was not as easy. I quickly learned how Monastery can become a troublesome beach. Everyone made it out except Jessica, the surf was a bit too much for her so she decided to hang out on the beach. We made our swim out to about halfway into the kelp bed and then we dropped down. The vis today was slightly less than the day before, but still at least 10x better than 3 feet.

Devin was leading this dive, since he was also photographing. Jeff and I were just along for the enjoyment. It was however a little surgy and we had to work against that some, but it was doable. Plus the vis was amazing. Not as much life was out today because the surge was a little rough, but there was still a ton of stuff to see. Aside from all the usual sites one of the coolest thing I saw was a huge school of fish, just hanging out below the kelp at the surface. It was beautiful, and with the vis you could see so many fish. We also saw several other kinds of fish, but none that I recognized, as well as several fairly large nudi’s. I was totally stoaked.

Once we had made our way out a considerable distance I was starting to get a little chilly. We had stopped moving as much as the surge had letup some. The only good part was we were all at about 1200 psi and decided it was time to head back in. On the way back I was very pleased that I recognized several landmarks (something im working on). The swim back seemed much longer than the swim out, but perhaps its just because I was a little chilly.

The exit was rough. I got to experience my first Monastery Crawl! It wasn’t horrible, but it did take a lot of energy. By the time we had made it out, and walked up the hill I was also glad I had Enriched Air! I decided to breath some of the air from my tank and the extra oxygen really helped me catch my breath quicker :wink:. Yea its cheating, but it works. Once back at the car’s we all decided that was our last dive for the day. Conditions were a little rougher now and I had an engagement I had to make it to. I was glad I convinced everyone to give Monastery a shot.

DIVE #19
: 49′Depth for 00:48 minutes with 48F water temperatures. We had about 30-40′of vis. This dive was with EANx34.

Thanks Jim. One of these days we will have to put a group together.

Out of curiosity did your son ever get to try a discover scuba?

There is nothing quite like being able to dive with your kidlets. Have fun!

Thank you ....

Being a single parent I guess this is one way to know were he is while I am diving..LOL!

I am still a bit nervous about Certing him at 11 years though.

I even thought of having another Instructor besides myself do his Cert , But he trusts Dad...

So..... Onward.:D

Looks like you won't have to solo dive anymore :wink:. Plus boat diving is now more of an option for you two perhaps? Guess it depends on his comfort with depth, but thats sweet Jim. I am glad that he is going for it. I wish I had gotten my cert at 11, I was too busy playing Amateur Radio. :(

BBianchi that was a great dive report. I'm jealous that you get to dive so often.

Im fortunate that it works out with me being able to get in the water so much. Just this month not so much.

Back
Top Bottom