Dive recommendations for Saturday??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mohave_steve

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello All,

I am finally going to make it over to Everett on Saturday. Have a 9:00am appointment & should be ready to dive by 10:30.

Special occasion: My Wife's first dive since completeing her O/W cert and her first salt water dive.

I think I am more excited than she is :)

Any recommendations? How is Edmonds? Any volunteers for a "guide"???

Thanks

Steve

Edmonds Underwater park is great. Lots to see, I think the deepest you can get is maybe 45 ft, most is shallower. I was there last weekend for the first time, and I was thrilled with it. Beware of the cabezon though, I found one who I have named Oscar the grouch, who was VERY territorial. There is a nice park there, with restrooms, a place to shower off the salt... nice!

Have fun!

If you're going to Edmonds, some things to keep in mind ... you're looking at reasonably large tidal exchanges this week-end, with a low tide around 11:30 and a slack before flood around 1:10 or so. I'd plan to splash around 12:30 at the beginning of the flood, and do my dive around slack. Edmonds doesn't get a lot of current, but on days with reasonably large tidal exchanges, it can be noticeable ... especially around the jetty. Currents here also tend to eddy, due to the contours and the presence of the jetty, so it's a good day to forego the dry dock ... go further north in the park, like along Jetty Way and maybe out to Cathedrals, so you have some "wiggle room" to go with the flow if the currents do reverse and start to push you south. Keep in mind that because it's a shallow dive, on a low tide you'll not only experience less than optimal vis but you'll also have a reasonably long walk down the beach. At noon on Saturday you may end up walking to the end of the jetty. The good news is that means you'll have less of a surface swim. On that tide I doubt you'll get below 30 feet ... so you should be able to have a nice, long dive. And although Edmonds is a very easy site to navigate (out is west, in is east), make sure to watch your compass because the bottom is very flat, and it's easy to find yourself kicking parallel to shore when you want to be going in or out. Best bet while conducting the dive is find a line, take a heading, and follow the line. But as you approach the beach, the lines disappear and you need to navigate on your own.

It's a nice, easy dive ... keeping these things in mind as you plan it will make it more enjoyable.

And as nwbobber mentioned, give the cabbies some respect ... they're still sitting on eggs and tend to be surly when divers get too close to the nest.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Thanks Bobber,

I appreciate the recommendation. I had the good fortune of diving there last year & it was awesone. This time of year the male Cabezon may be guarding the eggs & be quite agressive if you get too close. Unfortunately, I have been told that tidal activity this Saturday makes Edmonds a poor choice. We have been pointed towards Cove2. We would love to hook up with divers who know the site. Anyone headed that way on Saturday??
Thanks
Steve

Thanks for the info Bob. Unfortunately it is beginning to look like we may not be diving this time :(

I am quite tollerant of less than ideal surface conditions as long as dive conditions are ok but today that would likely require a solo diver specialty :)

BTW: Who ordered SNOW in April??

Steve, you may not see this in time, but my buddy and I are going to be doing a skills dive at Cove 2, meeting at 10am. If you get down there in time, you are welcome to splash with us and hang out. It won't be a big tour, but we usually manage some sight-seeing in addition to the practice work.

Lynne,

I appreciate the offer and if I had hung out for another 30 minutes & seen your post I would have been most happy to join you. I wasn't too far away. We wound up going to Pike Place Market for the morning.

Next time I will have a little more advance notice and can plan a dive trip instead of trying to sneak diving in on a last minute business trip.

Thanks again

Steve

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom