Dive planning with Suunto Dx/Dxi computers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Juardis

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have a D6i, just got it a couple weeks ago. Haven't taken it to open water yet, just the pool, but I've read the manual hundreds of times (ok, maybe little exaggeration :)). Anyway, been playing around with the NoDeco Dive Planning and it appears to be rather limited. As in a square dive profile and only for your next dive. For your first dive, it should be the same as my dive tables, although I haven't compared to notice. For your second dive, at least based on my limited experience in the pool, the main usefulness is that it accurately accounts for your first dive so it gives you the maximum bottom time for the next square profile dive. Is that all there is to it? I can't do anything more than a square profile for my very next dive?

Also check if there is a on board dive simulator mode. I have that in my Vyper and find it very handy to play with.
there isn't. My wife has the vyper air and it does and I agree, it's more useful than what I've got, at least so far as what I know I've got.

I have the new D4i, and same thing, square dive planner. CuracaoJ (above post) is correct in that you can do it with the DM4 software. Might be tough to do while on a boat between dives though, if you have to. My thoughts here are;
1 - With the built in planner, the time at depth that it gives you would be that time at that specified depth. If you're doing multil-level and starting at depth and "cruising" up, it's only going to give you more time as you ascend:)
2 - The computer (the new D4i & D6i) is already "doing the math" for you, dynamically and on the fly, (including the Dive Plan mode). It's taking into consideration your activity (dives, SI's, residual), for the prior 4 days, and doing the all the "number crunching" on the fly. Constantly computing your NDL at that moment at that depth, factoring in up to prior 4 days of diving.

Not trying to sound simple here and avoid doing some math and dive a safe plan. These are just some the exact reasons I bought the D4i. And again, the DM4 software can help you here. The unfortunate thing here, (just my opinion), as of right now it's only available for Windows :depressed: I do have it running on my "work" Windows machine, and it works fine. It could use a few improvements, mainly having a Mac version, which is due out by years end/first of 2012. I'm using MacDive on my Mac, and it's great !

I have the new D4i, and same thing, square dive planner. CuracaoJ (above post) is correct in that you can do it with the DM4 software. Might be tough to do while on a boat between dives though, if you have to. My thoughts here are;
Yeah, I can't see myself with a laptop on a dive boat. Nice to know DM4 is more flexible, just means I have to buy the ridiculously overpriced cable.
1 - With the built in planner, the time at depth that it gives you would be that time at that specified depth. If you're doing multil-level and starting at depth and "cruising" up, it's only going to give you more time as you ascend:)
2 - The computer (the new D4i & D6i) is already "doing the math" for you, dynamically and on the fly, (including the Dive Plan mode). It's taking into consideration your activity (dives, SI's, residual), for the prior 4 days, and doing the all the "number crunching" on the fly. Constantly computing your NDL at that moment at that depth, factoring in up to prior 4 days of diving.
Yeah, I understand that part too, and don't get me wrong, that's a huge improvement over the tables and is most welcome, I just thought there'd be more to it with as sophisticated as the new D6i appears to be.

got in the pool again tonight. Dove for 48 minutes, then "planned" my next dive. Noticed something new. I can choose to extend my existing surface interval in 5 minute increments to see how that affects bottom time at selected depths. Pretty cool.

Hi,

great to hear that you've like'd the SI time parameter on our new D-series planner, thank you!

Just wanted to drop a line and let you know that we've just today launched DM4 for Mac - worth a try! :blinking:
Thanks Pia, that's good to know. But since I have the PC version, can you tell me if there are any bug fixes for the PC version in this latest download?

And can you do something about reducing the price of the USB cable?! :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom