Dive Paradise/Park Royal report...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

desmo900rider

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey all,

Just got back from Coz, I was there from 3/24-3/31 and had a great time. I figured I would post up a report from a diving newbie perspective, as this trip was my 1st real dive trip since being certified...

Park Royal - not a bad resort, comfortable beds, nice and clean, not too gaudy decor, good pools, decent beach with cruise ships out front, lots of bars, decent drinks, food was average, never great, sometimes bad, pretty typical of all inclusive food, staff was pretty unmotivated for the most part...I've stayed at a few RIU all inclusive resorts and this was much better overall, not bad at all for what we paid ($99/night PP)

Dive Paradise - would not dive with them again, very unorginaized, very difficult to communicate with much of the staff, dive masters didn't do much on the dives but lead, a few pointed some things out, but not as much as I expected...there were several things that we set up before hand that never came to fruition once we were on the boat, its like no one from the DP staff communicates with each other, I had everything booked before we went down there and it was still very hard to get things straight with what was planned, no break on price for anything, even though we had 6 divers diving with them for the whole week, I really expect/expected more out of a dive op and will do more research next time...

Diving - Unreal. Did Columbia shallow and deep, Palancar shallows, Santa Rosa, and a few more spots that I can't remember the names of, everything was great, saw some rays, sea turtles, crabs, lobsters, 2 nurse sharks, and countless cool fish...the swim throughs at Columbia and Santa Rosa were wild for a new diver, exciting and scary at the same time, no problems for the most part for any of us, my wife lost a weight pouch from her BCD but that was it...ended up going to 115 feet at Columbia which was cool, didn't think we would get that deep on this trip...my wife and I both had new eqipment that all worked out great for both of us

Food - as I mentioned, nothing great at Park Royal, but went off Christi's list and went to La Cocay the last night, great food, great service, Guido's was also fantastic, great food and service, and La Mission on 30th was great local food, we ended up there 2 times...

I'm glad to be back, but wish I was still waking up and diving every morning! Although it is nice to want to buy somthing, and to be able to pay for it without having to haggle!

Mike

Was this your first boat dive charter? Was this your first trip to Mexico? Just trying to determine if your dissatisfaction is due to poor performance by DP or just difference with your expectations.

Can you expand on the DP issues. What was arranged that didn't happen? Why did you expect a price break and how much? What were the communication problems, language?

Mike - glad to hear you had a great time diving ... I'm sure you're addicted to Coz like the rest of us now!! And there's lots of other dive ops to try, so I'm sure you'll find one that fits your wants & needs!! (You can get tons of recommendations here on the board - we all have our favorites!!)

desmo900rider:
Dive Paradise - would not dive with them again, very unorginaized, very difficult to communicate with much of the staff, dive masters didn't do much on the dives but lead, a few pointed some things out, but not as much as I expected...there were several things that we set up before hand that never came to fruition once we were on the boat, its like no one from the DP staff communicates with each other, I had everything booked before we went down there and it was still very hard to get things straight with what was planned, no break on price for anything, even though we had 6 divers diving with them for the whole week, I really expect/expected more out of a dive op and will do more research next time...

Diving - Unreal. Did Columbia shallow and deep, Palancar shallows, Santa Rosa, and a few more spots that I can't remember the names of, everything was great, saw some rays, sea turtles, crabs, lobsters, 2 nurse sharks, and countless cool fish...the swim throughs at Columbia and Santa Rosa were wild for a new diver, exciting and scary at the same time, no problems for the most part for any of us, my wife lost a weight pouch from her BCD but that was it...ended up going to 115 feet at Columbia which was cool, didn't think we would get that deep on this trip...my wife and I both had new eqipment that all worked out great for both of us

Something somewhat anomalous about the juxtaposition of these two paragraphs: ne'st ce pas? You did go diving with Dive Paradise? Sounds like they got the job done for you based on your 2nd paragraph. Next time, communicate your expectations clearly with someone at the shop BEFORE you book your trip and on arrival, and if you have a problem, go right away and straighten it out at the shop. Make sure you are speaking with someone in authority. Hundreds of people pass through there every month. The Captains and Divemasters can't do much about anything once you're on the boat, and although you paid for your trip, you didn't pay for anyone else's trip on the boat, all of whom are just as important as you are (to the Captains and Divemasters especially). Finally, it's "not that cool" to lose a weight pouch anywhere; securing your equipment and knowing how to use it and how it works before you get in the water is always a good idea....

cowboyneal:
Something somewhat anomalous about the juxtaposition of these two paragraphs: ne'st ce pas? You did go diving with Dive Paradise? Sounds like they got the job done for you based on your 2nd paragraph.
Not necessarily ... I've had good dives with poor dive ops .... I try not to let someone else's failings ruin my dive. Just because Mike enjoyed his dives, doesn't mean DP did fine.

cowboyneal:
Finally, it's "not that cool" to lose a weight pouch anywhere; securing your equipment and knowing how to use it and how it works before you get in the water is always a good idea....
Sorry - but it's "not that cool" to jump a newbie. No one wants to lose a piece of equipment. .... stuff happens!! Inferring that they don't know what they're doing with their equipment is a bit harsh ....

I'm not ready to indict DP just yet. There is something about his review and the one he posted on TripAdvisor that makes me wonder about a few things.

I hope he comes back and answers my questions.

I went on a group trip in Dec/Jan this year, we had an entire DP boat and our own crew for almost a week and they were fantastic. Their service was even better than our experience in Grand Cayman the year before. I find it really hard to believe that they were unorganized. Also not sure what the OP means about price breaks, my experience is that you usually have to pay for pretty much anything extra. Just curious to hear what exactly was planned that never took place and why they didn't get it corrected after the first day?

Here's what OP posted on Tripadvisor:

Dive Paradise:
+ positives
Reasonable price, always on time, skilled/knowledgeable dive masters, flexible
-negatives
Again, the story always changed depending on who you talked to. Huge communication barriers--we booked the reservations with Kathy (she's in the US), but when we got to the shop no one seemed to know who we were and communicating was very difficult. Boat staff was not as helpful as I would have liked. Some dive masters didn't point out as much as I am used to while diving.

Doesn't sound like anything concrete to me, and a bit different there than what was presented here. I've been diving with DP for over 20 years now (we are "co-termed" in Cozumel...lol) and I have had a few "experiences" with somewhat inattentive divemasters (who hasn't wherever they are?). However, I'd personally give DP a 9.5/10 every time, but I am also personal friends with Apple, and always pay extra for the fast boats and EDP trips and all that, so my experience may be somewhat different than others...also, being on "his first dive trip since being certified" I don't know how this newbie would be in a position to rate a dive operation as well-known and long standing as Dive Paradise, having no real experience across the board or anything with which to compare it. Likewise, I don't know how you could be "used to" any actions of a divemaster having only had your certification dives...On the other newbie thing, I don't accept my students ever dropping weights or failing to secure their equipment. This is a basic tenent of diving. Also, what if there was another diver under that falling weight? Bonk! So, while I appreciate "the share" from the other commentator, I don't agree with their view (although will defend to the death their right to present it)...

Finally, we all need to take these negative commentary posts with a grain of salt, especially when being made by "new members" because there is a bit of "sniping" on the board. By that I mean that these phantom new screen names pop up, the negativity is deposited and then for some reason the poster is never heard from again...one can only wonder who is really behind that...

Ive dove with dp over 70 times and had a good time and the dm were friendly guys and informative and I will continue to dive with them. that being said, I to did find them disorganized. I had to always double check,in the morning, to make sure I was on the same boat as friends. it was 50/50 if we were together. Why do 3 or 4 boats stop at barracuda pier and only pick up 3 or 4 divers(while there are 12 people waiting for big boats) and make 4 more different stops and do the same? A computer and printer would do wonders for their business.

ReefHound:
Was this your first boat dive charter? Was this your first trip to Mexico? Just trying to determine if your dissatisfaction is due to poor performance by DP or just difference with your expectations.

Can you expand on the DP issues. What was arranged that didn't happen? Why did you expect a price break and how much? What were the communication problems, language?

Reefhound, I was actually wondering some of the same things.

Not to jump on the newbie or to be harsh, but several things immediately got my attention.

Desmo, by your own admission, this was your first dive trip since certification, so I have to wonder if you simply didn't know what to expect. Things WILL be different than they were with your certification dives and they will be different in every dive destination you visit. Different protocols and local customs dictate alot of that. Were you expecting certain things that simply aren't advertised or provided by that particular dive operation.

You sad everything was arranged up front, but then you weren't given any price breaks on anything. Obviously you knew what your package would cost you before you went...are you saying that they didn't honor the priing you were quoted? If they did and you weren't happy with the pricing, then I'm really missing your point.

I would like to add, again no disprespect meant here...but 6 people for a week does not really warrant any price breaks. Virtually all of the dive shops (who are reputable and successful businesses) consider a "group" for discount purposes, 12 divers or more. Six divers is a great thing, but it's a normal thing around here. If I offered a price break everytime I had a group of six divers I would be out of business before I knew it. Some people don't understand that we (dive ops) are in business...and despite the notions of many, it is not a "get rich" business. As I've said many times before, it's a labor of love and a lifestyle...but it is a business and we have to watch the bottom line or there won't be one...and then we will cease to exist...and then where would you dive? :)

I do have to take exception to the comment:
it is nice to want to buy somthing, and to be able to pay for it without having to haggle!
Simple, don't haggle. Pay the advertised priced or don't buy it...or...haggle if you feel you must, but then don't complain about it. Most places do have fixed prices and the old "haggling" thing is an antiquated practice unless you are in a flea market type place or a roadside vendor, etc. The shop owners have employees, overhead expenses, and rent to pay just like everyone else. I personally find it offensive when people can spend thousands of dollars for a luxury vacation, and then want to haggle over a few bucks or want something for "free." It's like asking them to subsidize your vacation in a way.

When I go to the states I don't get any discounts. When I go on vacation I don't get any discounts and I don't even ask. They (tour ops/hotels, etc.) are in business to earn an honest living...why should they lower their prices to subsidize my liesure? Prices that are listed/published/advertised should be respected is my point here.

As far as DP being a disappointment to the OP, I do find it a bit suspicious that DP was as unorganized as claimed. You don't get to be the largest dive operator on the island and stay as successful as they are for over 20 years by being disorganized. Granted, DP is not the right fit for everyone, and perhaps not for you...but they are for many and they are obviously doing something right.

The beautiful thing about Cozumel diving, is that there are +/- 80 choices on any given day...you just need to decide what services/ammenities/features are important to you in a dive operation and seek them out...I promise you'll find what you're looking for.

I hope that you'll continue diving and continue traveling and find the perfect dive ops for your needs and expectations.

Off my box now :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom