Dive Paradise and Dive computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubajen

Reaction score
I was reading Dive Paradise's web-site and they say if you
go on the larger boats you cannot rely on your computer,
you must bring your dive table with you. Does anyone
know if this is really true? I assume so since it is written,
but I was very suprised by this. I have gotten use to relying
on my computer!

I think what they really mean is that the diving is done in a group, and the depth/time is per tables.

Even if your computer has correctly calculated your multilevel dive and shows lots of NDL time remaining, you may be requested to ascend with the rest of the group.

Charlie99 once bubbled...
I think what they really mean is that the diving is done in a group, and the depth/time is per tables.

Even if your computer has correctly calculated your multilevel dive and shows lots of NDL time remaining, you may be requested to ascend with the rest of the group.

More than likely, it will come down to air consumption. Once the first person signals they are at the designated PSI, the SMBwill go up and you will be expected to pretty much go up as a group -- remember you are drift diving.

As for as deco limits, that will come down to how the DM percieves your diving experience. He/she will be much more forgiving of going deeper than he is if you are experienced, otherwise he/she will likely insist that you stay at a lesser depth then him.

That being said, I have only dived with DP on the small / fast boats where it is less of an issue (there were 6 of us and we all knew each other and had similar experience / air consumption).

Otter

Does it mean the person with the worst air consumption pays the others for their trip then? This one of my pet peeves and have seen it other places too. I must come up with the group even though I have 2/3 of a tank of gas and my computer tells me I still have 45 minutes at depth before incuring a deco obligation.

I can find a person to dive with that has similar interests and skills, but why should I be penalized for a person I am not otherwise associated with?

I thought when you are your buddy were down to about 700psi, then you both went up together, got on the dive boat and waited
the others to be done. Guess I assumed wrong.?

scubajen once bubbled...
I thought when you are your buddy were down to about 700psi, then you both went up together, got on the dive boat and waited
the others to be done. Guess I assumed wrong.?

That would make more sense. The other idea of everyone having to come up togeter happened on a Red Sea liveaboard, and a talk with the skipper cleared things up without too much fuss.

Diversauras once bubbled...
Does it mean the person with the worst air consumption pays the others for their trip then? This one of my pet peeves and have seen it other places too. I must come up with the group even though I have 2/3 of a tank of gas and my computer tells me I still have 45 minutes at depth before incuring a deco obligation.

I can find a person to dive with that has similar interests and skills, but why should I be penalized for a person I am not otherwise associated with?

Well, on Cozumel the solution is to not dive on cattleboats that cater to new/inexperienced divers. The practice of ending the dive for everyone when the first diver hits 700 PSI (or whatever) is not universal. I dive with Cozumel Equalizers; they let me dive my computer, and the DM often will send pairs to the surface when one of them runs LOA. Sometimes he will ascend to about 30', run up his safety buoy, and hang where he can see everybody until the last divers ascend.

I guess that is what I get then for being on a large boat.
I feel that my husband and I are inexprienced though since
we only dive a few times a year and never have don done drift diving.
Oh, well. I am sure we will still have a good time and maybe on
our next trip we will go on the smaller boats.

It is always wise to call ahead and ask about the practices of the boat you are going to dive on. Particularly if it is a multiday liveaboard. But I make it a practice for the day boats as well. Practices vary widely....

I have been a boat (once! never again!) that followed the Cozumel cattle boat approach, group diving only and dive is over when first person is low on air. :upset:

Slightly better are boats that do group diving but with assigned buddies, when someone gets low on air they and their buddy ascend and the group continues the dive.

I prefer boats that allow independant budy teams to perform their own dives. :)

Some boats are starting to permit solo diving (for those with adequate experience and equipment). :mean:

ggunn once bubbled...

Well, on Cozumel the solution is to not dive on cattleboats that cater to new/inexperienced divers. The practice of ending the dive for everyone when the first diver hits 700 PSI (or whatever) is not universal. I dive with Cozumel Equalizers; they let me dive my computer, and the DM often will send pairs to the surface when one of them runs LOA. Sometimes he will ascend to about 30', run up his safety buoy, and hang where he can see everybody until the last divers ascend.

I try to stay off the cattle boat as you suggest, but sometimes you just get caught ya'know...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom