Dive Ops That Will Pick Up at Iberostar?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is also true they dive on a schedule but I also snicker about these comments because you always see the dressel boats right next to the aldoras, 3Ps, etc.

I’ve looked at the Dressel schedule several times while staying at Occidental and also discussed with them. There are at most a handful of sites they go to - that’s out of over 35 named sites on the island. I’m sure they are a fine op, but implying they visit a significant percentage of the sites that the others you mentioned take divers to is flat out wrong!

I’ve looked at the Dressel schedule several times while staying at Occidental and also discussed with them. There are at most a handful of sites they go to - that’s out of over 35 named sites on the island. I’m sure they are a fine op, but implying they visit a significant percentage of the sites that the others you mentioned take divers to is flat out wrong!

Are you sure? Have you ever got a group of 8 together and asked them to hit a different site?

I think you are missing my point as well. If you dive at boutique dive ops you are going to the exact same sites as DD because that is where people want to go.

Get on the the boat in the morning and tell the rest of the boat you dont want to go to Palancar or Columbia and want to dive the wreck and see how fast you get outvoted.

If you dive at boutique dive ops you are going to the exact same sites as DD because that is where people want to go.

My big complaint with Dressel is zero flexibility from a preset schedule of limited sites decided way in advance. At least it’s a consensus on other boats and often times the popular sites come up, but by no means limited to 6 or less preselected choices with no option to change.

As an example, the group wanted a last minute change to see Devils throat last trip. Not on Dressel’s list unless you get real lucky and they happen to be at an adjacent site.

One of my most memorable dives where we saw the dolphins a couple years ago - Islote. The group voted and we switched last minute and went there. Not on Dressel’s list.

Don’t get me started on points north that they don’t go to either. I’m not a big fisherman, but it was fun hunting lion fish while outside the park.

I agree with you Curious_George, I wouldn't want to dive with an op where everything is predetermined. I wouldn't have cared on my first trip but it's a different story on my 6th trip. One of the parts of the day I really enjoy is when we're discussing where to go once everyone's on the boat. Skill levels, what people in the group have already done that week, what people want to see, and even the occasional "it's my last day and I really want to..." all get taken into account and we come to a consensus. Or maybe it's just that the DM's are amazing at giving us the illusion of choice. :) Regardless, it's fun!

but by no means limited to 6 or less preselected choices with no option to change.

Are you sure it's that many...lol!

If one is a new diver or a first timer to Cozumel and spending only 1 week, Dressel is an ok choice - or if one is staying at the Iberostar and wants the convenience of having an op right outside their door. If you are an experienced diver, then you're probably looking for an op that gives you a little more variety of dive sites.

Dressel has some offerings that can give a diver a little variety over the course of a week, although it may be true that the same nearby sites are visited often.
Palancar or Columbia
. In 2016, I did 1 day with Dressel in Coz going over from PDC (part of a package) and dove Palancar Garden and Columbia Shallows. In PDC, we dove 3 times at one site, twice at another, and then got a little variety by diving cenotes, doing a night dive in another area of PDC, and the one day in Coz. I was getting AOW cert at the same time.

With Dressel, one just needs to accept that they are on a schedule, dives last ~45-50 min., the same sites may be visited often during the week, they have bigger boats, and (used to) have an international staff. None of these things are a negative - it's just about what people prefer or can live with.

I would use Papa Hogs over Dressel and PH is an op I will never use again lol.

Whoa, whoa, whoa.

You TOTALLY are missing the insidious nature of those pier fees. One of then charges a month subscription to the DIVE OP. So, your small favorite op gets screwed paying that big fee for maybe 1 or 2 divers that month. Meanwhile some big op with lots of boats picks us there, that fee gets spread over a lot more divers.

The real problem it is one more thing that hurts the small ops many of us love. Wade out or better yet don't stay there.

If they want to be up front and tell the guest, hey we are charging you 2 buck, that one thing, but these people wont even let the guest pay. They want the dive op to collect money for them.

Whoa, whoa, whoa.

You TOTALLY are missing the insidious nature of those pier fees. One of then charges a month subscription to the DIVE OP. So, your small favorite op gets screwed paying that big fee for maybe 1 or 2 divers that month. Meanwhile some big op with lots of boats picks us there, that fee gets spread over a lot more divers.

The real problem it is one more thing that hurts the small ops many of us love. Wade out or better yet don't stay there.

If they want to be up front and tell the guest, hey we are charging you 2 buck, that one thing, but these people wont even let the guest pay. They want the dive op to collect money for them.

This is exactly why I asked this when I was considering staying there. Now staying at the Palace so no worried. But it def is a concern for the reasons you listed!!!!! The hotel is just trying to push guests to use the onsite OP which I would NEVER use.

This is exactly why I asked this when I was considering staying there. Now staying at the Palace so no worried. But it def is a concern for the reasons you listed!!!!! The hotel is just trying to push guests to use the onsite OP which I would NEVER use.

And I have heard the Palace is really nice?

Back
Top Bottom