Question Dive Ops in Moorea, Papeete & Raiatea?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
living4experiences

living4experiences

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I will be on a transpacific cruise next April from Australia to Hawaii and we are stopping in Raiatea, Papeete, and Moorea. Never been to these islands and would like to dive. If you have any recommendations for dive operators, much appreciated. Thanks!

I will be on a transpacific cruise next April from Australia to Hawaii and we are stopping in Raiatea, Papeete, and Moorea. Never been to these islands and would like to dive. If you have any recommendations for dive operators, much appreciated. Thanks!
That’s a very long cruise. I dove Moorea. There were only a couple of companies operating. I contacted the ones I found online by email and WhatsApp . I made the mistake of not booking and leaving a deposit a month in advance. The spaces do sell out. They are not all operating year round. The dives were fine, clear warm water but nothing more interesting that what I saw in Bali or Thailand. I got stung by a marine animal in Moorea. Recommend wearing a full wetsuit or full body rash guard in the water. I’ve read Tahiti has less good diving. The other island is smaller and more remote.

Hi Trish,

Both the dives were great. Our weather wasn't the best in Raiatea but the diving was great. Got in the water and there were six sharks circling the boat further down in the water. They were going to take us to the Bora Bora pass but because of the weather they couldn't. The private dive in Moorea was great and that is where I got to see the Nemo fish. We saw two to four adults ones and a couple of teenagers. It was great.

Good luck with whatever you decide - I don't think you can go wrong diving in either spot.

Have fun,
cruzboun

Hi Trish,

Both the dives were great. Our weather wasn't the best in Raiatea but the diving was great. Got in the water and there were six sharks circling the boat further down in the water. They were going to take us to the Bora Bora pass but because of the weather they couldn't. The private dive in Moorea was great and that is where I got to see the Nemo fish. We saw two to four adults ones and a couple of teenagers. It was great.

Good luck with whatever you decide - I don't think you can go wrong diving in either spot.

Have fun,
cruzboun
Thanks so much! That is very helpful. Trish

Hi Trish,

Have fun,
cruzboun
I tried most dive operators in Moorea and had the same problem. They aren't able to accommodate a morning dive. So now I am reaching our to Raiatea So we will snorkel in Moorea. Trying to find a scooter rental place so we can go snorkel at a few places. Any suggestions?

Hi Trish,

Have fun,
cruzboun
Quick Question when you dove with Hemisphere did they have Fins to rent? On their website it says they don't rent Fins. Thanks Trish

We are on the reverse cruise in October. Who did you end up diving with and how was it. We are on the same 3 stops Thanks
I went diving with Hemisphere Sub (HS) in Raiatea and Fluid Diving (FD) in Papeete. The timing of the cruise ship arrival did not work out for diving in Moorea, so I did a snorkel tour through the cruise ship. More on that in a minute. The visibility was very low at both locations, so I don't have many usable photos to share. The reefs at both islands are really browned out and dead, and there was a mix of wrecks and reefs. Water temps ranged from 82-86 degrees.

You will tender at the Raiatea port. The tender operation was really poorly managed by Celebrity, so give yourself plenty of time to get to the pickup spot, which is a 3-minute walk to the town square. The email communication went smoothly. They will drive you to the marina where you'll do all the paperwork and get rental gear. All the rental gear is included in the cost of the dive. What was available for the ship's arrival was a 2-tank dive, meeting at 1 p.m. The guide found a beautiful resident yellow seahorse, which made the dive worthwhile for me. I have no complaints about this operator. I felt safe and well taken care of, and I enjoyed it.

In Papeete, the ship is docked, not tendered. This was a bit of an ordeal to get off the ship and find the meeting location for FD because the signage is poor. If you don't speak French, it's impossible to get directions. I was using Google Maps, but it wasn't taking me to the right location. It's about a 10- to 15-minute walk from the time you step off the ship. They offer round-trip transportation to the marina for $30 USD. It's about a 20-minute ride. I recommend doing this, as the taxis are very expensive, $60 USD round trip, The drivers are rude. They take USD but at an inflated exchange rate. Otherwise, you'll need the local currency. Email communication was a bit difficult through the whole process. I had all my own gear, but they have gear to rent. The wreck we dived was nice and had schools of fish hanging around. The latter part of the dive, I saw 10 turtles and lots of juvenile blacktip and whitetip sharks under the reef ledges. For what I saw, I enjoyed the diving and it is a well-run operation.

Moorea is a tender port. Again, Celebrity did not run this well. I took the cruise ship tour that was called "Coral Garden and Lagoon Snorkeling" or something like that. There is no coral in the coral garden. It's waist-high water and a sandy bottom. There's no fish either. The cruise ship charged $150. Luckily, I had onboard credit to use. I ran into other people that did the same tour booking on their own for $25. The cruise ship tour operator was lousy, and it was a cattle boat. Be aware that this is a popular tour, so the lagoon is packed with boats and a couple hundred people. Blacktip sharks and stingrays are swimming around in the lagoon in waist-high water here, too. Except for the massive crowds, I enjoyed swimming with the sharks and stingrays. There are lots of vendors shoreside that offer tours, too. Jeep tours, walking tours, and boat tours are available as well as a small open air market with handcrafted items as soon as you reach the island.

I'm glad to have had the opportunity to try diving in French Polynesia, but this is not a destination that I would plan for a dedicated dive trip. I'm happy to get in the water whenever I can, though.

Attachments

• Raiatea Seahorse.JPG
    Raiatea Seahorse.JPG
    115.9 KB · Views: 5
  • Papeete Nudi.JPG
    Papeete Nudi.JPG
    128.2 KB · Views: 4
  • Papeete Plane Wreck.JPG
    Papeete Plane Wreck.JPG
    25.6 KB · Views: 7
  • Papeete Wreck.JPG
    Papeete Wreck.JPG
    72 KB · Views: 7
I went diving with Hemisphere Sub (HS) in Raiatea and Fluid Diving (FD) in Papeete. The timing of the cruise ship arrival did not work out for diving in Moorea, so I did a snorkel tour through the cruise ship. More on that in a minute. The visibility was very low at both locations, so I don't have many usable photos to share. The reefs at both islands are really browned out and dead, and there was a mix of wrecks and reefs. Water temps ranged from 82-86 degrees.

You will tender at the Raiatea port. The tender operation was really poorly managed by Celebrity, so give yourself plenty of time to get to the pickup spot, which is a 3-minute walk to the town square. The email communication went smoothly. They will drive you to the marina where you'll do all the paperwork and get rental gear. All the rental gear is included in the cost of the dive. What was available for the ship's arrival was a 2-tank dive, meeting at 1 p.m. The guide found a beautiful resident yellow seahorse, which made the dive worthwhile for me. I have no complaints about this operator. I felt safe and well taken care of, and I enjoyed it.

In Papeete, the ship is docked, not tendered. This was a bit of an ordeal to get off the ship and find the meeting location for FD because the signage is poor. If you don't speak French, it's impossible to get directions. I was using Google Maps, but it wasn't taking me to the right location. It's about a 10- to 15-minute walk from the time you step off the ship. They offer round-trip transportation to the marina for $30 USD. It's about a 20-minute ride. I recommend doing this, as the taxis are very expensive, $60 USD round trip, The drivers are rude. They take USD but at an inflated exchange rate. Otherwise, you'll need the local currency. Email communication was a bit difficult through the whole process. I had all my own gear, but they have gear to rent. The wreck we dived was nice and had schools of fish hanging around. The latter part of the dive, I saw 10 turtles and lots of juvenile blacktip and whitetip sharks under the reef ledges. For what I saw, I enjoyed the diving and it is a well-run operation.

Moorea is a tender port. Again, Celebrity did not run this well. I took the cruise ship tour that was called "Coral Garden and Lagoon Snorkeling" or something like that. There is no coral in the coral garden. It's waist-high water and a sandy bottom. There's no fish either. The cruise ship charged $150. Luckily, I had onboard credit to use. I ran into other people that did the same tour booking on their own for $25. The cruise ship tour operator was lousy, and it was a cattle boat. Be aware that this is a popular tour, so the lagoon is packed with boats and a couple hundred people. Blacktip sharks and stingrays are swimming around in the lagoon in waist-high water here, too. Except for the massive crowds, I enjoyed swimming with the sharks and stingrays. There are lots of vendors shoreside that offer tours, too. Jeep tours, walking tours, and boat tours are available as well as a small open air market with handcrafted items as soon as you reach the island.

I'm glad to have had the opportunity to try diving in French Polynesia, but this is not a destination that I would plan for a dedicated dive trip. I'm happy to get in the water whenever I can, though.
I have been trying to get on scuba board all day to message you back. It wasn't working but thankfully now it is. I did get a response back from Hemisphere Sub and just wondering if you think it's worth diving there. I am used to beautiful diving like the ABC's but that is so awesome that you saw the seahorse I have never seen one and that would be worth it to me, but no guarantees :). So what are your thoughts would you dive in Raiatea again?

We are going to rent a car in Moorea and just look for some snorkeling spots along the way. I ran into the same problem, the times don't work out. Any suggestions on snorkeling from shore?

We might just catch a bus in Papeete and head to VAIAVA beach and do a little swimming and snorkeling

Thanks again for such detail really appreciate it.
Trish

I have been trying to get on scuba board all day to message you back. It wasn't working but thankfully now it is. I did get a response back from Hemisphere Sub and just wondering if you think it's worth diving there. I am used to beautiful diving like the ABC's but that is so awesome that you saw the seahorse I have never seen one and that would be worth it to me, but no guarantees :). So what are your thoughts would you dive in Raiatea again?

We are going to rent a car in Moorea and just look for some snorkeling spots along the way. I ran into the same problem, the times don't work out. Any suggestions on snorkeling from shore?

We might just catch a bus in Papeete and head to VAIAVA beach and do a little swimming and snorkeling

Thanks again for such detail really appreciate it.
Trish
If I found myself on these islands again, I probably would not go diving.

In Moorea, you'll dock in Oponohu Bay. It's a beautiful ride in, so be sure to get up early and enjoy the peaceful cruise and the sights into the bay. I can't speak to the snorkeling opportunities, but from what I saw of the coastline from the cruise tour, it's very shallow and sandy with no real reef for snorkeling. Depending on how far you want to drive, you might have some luck elsewhere. Even though the cruise tour had its issues, the boat ride along the coast was stunning and beautiful. I've attached a couple of pics of the views. And here's a video on my YouTube channel from the boat ride perspective to give you a sense of the terrain.
Papeete has a large open air market, Le Marche, that's a 5-minute walk from the ship. A Visit to Papeete Market - Tahiti Tourisme

Have you joined the forum for this cruise on Cruise Critic? There might also be a Facebook group for this cruise.

Attachments

• Cruising into Moorea.jpg
    Cruising into Moorea.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 5
  • Moorea Coast.jpg
    Moorea Coast.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 5
If I found myself on these islands again, I probably would not go diving.

In Moorea, you'll dock in Oponohu Bay. It's a beautiful ride in, so be sure to get up early and enjoy the peaceful cruise and the sights into the bay. I can't speak to the snorkeling opportunities, but from what I saw of the coastline from the cruise tour, it's very shallow and sandy with no real reef for snorkeling. Depending on how far you want to drive, you might have some luck elsewhere. Even though the cruise tour had its issues, the boat ride along the coast was stunning and beautiful. I've attached a couple of pics of the views. And here's a video on my YouTube channel from the boat ride perspective to give you a sense of the terrain.
Papeete has a large open air market, Le Marche, that's a 5-minute walk from the ship. A Visit to Papeete Market - Tahiti Tourisme

Have you joined the forum for this cruise on Cruise Critic? There might also be a Facebook group for this cruise.
Wow Beautiful pictures and video. Thanks for the honest feed back. We might just want to enjoy the water and swim. I am on Cruise Critic roll call but no action on our specific cruise for diving I'm not much on the ship tours I usually book our own. I will search cruise critic and see if I can find more info. Thank you again for all your help. Really appreciate it.

Back
Top Bottom