dive ops Boynton, Boca, & Pompano

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

robint

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We are getting ready to book a 5 day dive trip to this area and would like some input on the dive ops. I have seen recommendations for some of these but I would like info on who NOT to try and why. We plan to dive 2 or more dives per day: 2 days in Boynton, then 2 days in Boca/Pompano, with one day option for either spot. We love wrecks and reefs, big and small animals, we love diving and have 180+ dives so that isn't an issue. (Plus we plan to do Nitrox.)
Boynton - Splashdown Divers
Boca - The Diversity, LadyGoDiver
Pompano - Parrot Island divers, Dive Seahorse

we want to be able to dive our own profiles and not be stuck on a cattleboat full of beginners or students.

thanks!

robint

robint:
We are getting ready to book a 5 day dive trip to this area and would like some input on the dive ops. I have seen recommendations for some of these but I would like info on who NOT to try and why. We plan to dive 2 or more dives per day: 2 days in Boynton, then 2 days in Boca/Pompano, with one day option for either spot. We love wrecks and reefs, big and small animals, we love diving and have 180+ dives so that isn't an issue. (Plus we plan to do Nitrox.)

we want to be able to dive our own profiles and not be stuck on a cattleboat full of beginners or students.

thanks!

robint

Sneak up to West Palm and book a dive with PuraVida. Great op, small boat. Great diving.

I was passing Diversity in the channel on Sunday as they were going out. It looked pretty crowded under there - 12 pax plus divemasters - weekends, they can get a lot of student divers from Force-E, plus that is one long ride from Deerfield out to the channel. It can be a little tough to do some of the deeper dives with Tony - maybe during the week, it's better.
During the week, Captain Ray on Narcosis in Riviera Beach leaves the dock at 10am so you don't have to fight the commuters.
A good 6-pack a little farther south that will let you dive your own profile whether you're doing a 70'-deep wreck or the RBJ/Corey n Chris at 270' is Oliver at Avid Charters.
http://www.narcosisdivecharters.com/
http://www.aviddivercharters.com/
What hotels are you looking at?

Tom Winters:
What hotels are you looking at?

We are looking for something in Pompano-Deerfield region: small, clean, and diver friendly near the beach. I hate big, fancy hotels (I used to live in Daytona Beach & worked at one) and we don't like dragging wet dive gear through the lobby. I have the "Ft. lauderdale small lodgings " booklet and there are several possibles in there but we are always game for a recommendation.

robin

I guess the Boca Raton Resort is out then. There's the Radisson Bridge Resort a little east of that - kinda nice and quiet - very lower-key and right on A1A.
http://www.radisson.com/bocaratonfl_resort
Deerfield Beach has a whole little cluster of smallish seaside stuff, but the traffic and parking can be a nightmare. The new parking garage near the 7-11 sure helps. Pompano Beach I can't help you with - farther south than I would care to stay.

robint:

thanks!

robint

I'm pretty familiar with 2 of the boats you mention. I think it is fair to say the weekend AM is set aside for students/classes. All of the people you mention should be able to give you their schedules. Some are available online. In the Pompano area, if you see (Balls, Pompano Drop-off, Moorings, Nursery, Copenhagen), it's really all the same dive and is probably set up for a student run. Having said that, my wife and I probably dive that site about 40 times a year (alot off the whaler) as there is more varied life there than most places. In Boca, if you see (Sea Emperor,Aqua Zoo) they are the same dive. It's a great place to take students - and you might enjoy it as well as there are some very friendly rays, a couple morays and a large grouper.

As for diving your own profile, I think for most of the boats you mention you will not have a DM in the water with you. But - you probably shouldn't try to impress the other people on the boat with how long you can suck air out of a 100 cu ft steel tank....

Hotel-wise I, also, like the Radisson in Boca (also known as the Bridge hotel). We stayed there for about 4 weekends while house hunting 8 years ago. That was in the July/August timeframe. It might be a little pricey at the moment. Even if you don't stay there, it is a very nice place to have a quiet lunch, right under the bridge at the Boca Inlet. Really a Boca gem. Otherwise we have stayed at the Howard Johnson's in Deerfield Beach.

FWIW - probably my three favorite wrecks are; Jim Atria, Captain Dan and Rodeo (but I'd rather dive the outside of the third reef).

Good Luck

Splashdown is a great choice out of Boynton,They will get you guys on the dive you like,and If you ask ahead They run out to a Barge-Wreck is a nice dive,Nice boat Great Crew! And Kevin the DM is one of the best! The Reefs are real nice off Boynton.
have a Great trip!
A good central location is the University BestWestern,BocaRaton-Federal -rates can be had cheap,they have nice place,Pool,Free Breakfast-the basics,
my 2-cents,
Brad

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom