Question Dive operator recommendation in Puerto Lopéz EC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

resnick

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Looking for a recommendation for a dive operator in Puerto Lopéz, Ecuador. My partner and I will be staying with a friend in Puerto Lopéz at the beginning of August and I would like to get a few days of diving in. I will be solo (neither my friend nor my partner are divers). I am an instructor in the US Midwest (cold water) and have been diving for 30 years, so I do not need someone holding my hand, but I like a divemaster who can take me and my buddy on a nice relaxed tour. I usually prefer a small operation, but it does not look like any of the boats in Puerto Lopéz are especially big and crowded. I would of course like to see Isla de la Plata, but closer-in diving would also be good. I will not be going to the Galapagos on this trip.

Who do you suggest?

There are not many there I would recommend you Michel from Expolramar Diving.

So much of the coral closer to shore has been pretty much destroyed around Puerto Lopez. There are zero sharks. They've all been killed. Occasionally a stray whale shark appears. August is the ideal time to dive with mantas around here. Even some Galapagos dive guides I know come here to dive with mantas in August.

I would look at either Exploramar Diving (Michel sold the operation and is no longer there) or Mares. Machalilla Tours is very laid back. All 3 have permits for diving Isla de la Plata. Other sites are further away from Puerto Lopez, like Bajo Cope near Ayangue. Recently heard it was good around Isla Cayo, a rock beside Isla Pedernales in front of Puerto Cayo. Not sure PL operators are going up there yet, but you could ask.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom