Dive Operator Recommendation for Key West

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

leerose

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Thinking about adding a few days of Key West diving on to a macro trip to Blue Heron Bridge in Lauderdale. Have read up some on the operators down there. Here, Tripadvisor, etc. Not really getting a sense of a good operator for an Adv/Nitrox diver (200+ dives) / photographer. Not looking to spend time on a cattle boat or deal with a boat that caters to snorkelers. Looking for a small boat with good service and accommodating crew.

Suggestions?

Finz Dive Center

Care to explain why you recommend them?

If you bothered to do any searching on this forum, you would see that Wookie is in Key West and runs an amazing liveaboard and charter operation. So if he recommends someone, you could take it as gospel.

It probably fits your wish list (non-cattle, good for advanced divers, no snorkelers, etc.). Most of the boats in KW that I'm familiar with are large. There aren't many six packs.

I like Captains Corner because they are good with experienced divers and very hands off and won't babysit divers (one of the few operators that will let solo certified divers actually dive solo, will allow deco/technical diving if arrangements made ahead of time, etc.): but it is a huge boat and the opposite of a six-pack so doesn't fit that one parameter that you have but hits all the others.

One other note: Blue Heron Bridge is in West Palm Beach, not Lauderdale. (WPB is an hour or so north of Ft Lauderdale depending on time of day/traffic)

Last edited:

Really, I've done so ad nauseum and a simple search would have brought up the myriad reasons I suggest someone based on what you specifically asked for.

They are a six pack, while most everyone else in Key West carries 16-24. You stand a better chance of going where you want rather than going where the schedule takes you. They allow tech/adv. nitrox/trimix, and will accommodate your needs. They pump O2 and have stage/deco bottles for rent. If you want helium, they typically get it from me, although they will cascade if needed.

They are experienced spearers as well as photography supporters. They have a rinse tank on the boat, unusual for a 6 pack. You are as likely to go with the owner as with one of his hired captains. I've always found that the owner is much more responsive to the whims of the client than the hired help is.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom