Dive operations for shark feeding in Bahamas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

viakovlev

Registered
Reaction score
Hello fellow divers,
Need an advice regarding a possible trip to Bahamas in May. Usually we go to the Pacific or Asian sites, but this time we will have only 5 days and thought of a quick flight from Canada to save time. Have not been to Bahamas yet. I understand that the reef is not great in the area but there are shark feeding and dolphin dives. The most advertised is Stewart Cove's, but it seems like a mass "cattle" type of diving, which we've been always avoiding. Long slow transfers from the hotel, crowds at registration.... Can anyone recommend an operation with shark feeding and dolphin dives, but with a more customer oriented approach. Anyone runs these from a hotel directly or walking distance from a hotel? Outside of the shark dives, I 've read reviews describing dead coral without much life (but lots of bubbles around) and return to boat in 30min with 2000psi. Will appreciate recent experiences!

I've been to the Bahamas and dove with Stewart Coves. I was afraid of the 'Cattle Herd' diving, but was pleasantly surprised. Yes, it's down to a science for them, pick up at hotel, bus ride, register, pick up gear if needed, get on boat, dive, go back, all by the numbers. It didn't feel like a mob scene, at least for me. But, the difference might be that I went as part of a group from our LDS, and we had a boat to ourselves. Only my opinion, and your mileage may vary...

Cove's is on the south side of Nassau (New Providence) so it's a 45min. shuttle ride from the hotels on Paradise Island or slightly less from the Cable Beach area of Nassau. There's nothing within walking distance - about the closest is Orange Hill Inn - shown on their website - about 5 miles away. Also not near much so you'd want a car to go to Nassau - Cove's will pick you up there for diving.

Explore Scuba is on Paradise Island. IDK much about them. Might be walking distance.
Home | Explore Scuba Bahamas is the only dive operator located right on Paradise Island, we offer that one of a kind experience.

Bahama Divers is on the Nassau side of the Paradise Island bridge - you could almost walk there w/o gear. They also have a shuttle - IDK where it picks up. They do shark dives and the Blue Hole dive - often sharks are there also. Bahama Divers Home Page

For both sharks/dolphins you might consider a different island - UNEXSO does both from Port Lucaya, Freeport, Grand Bahama. Dolphin & Scuba Diving Activities & More!

Cristina Zenato works/dives there. This is her (click the link and watch it on Youtube in HD):

Coves also runs an all day Tiger Beach shark trip from the West End several times per week. Old Bahama Bay resort is about an hour drive from town. Welcome to Stuart Cove's Newest Dive Operation at Old Bahama Bay Resort, West End, Grand Bahama Island, Bahamas

+1 for UNEXSO & Cristina Zenato. She is a fantastic person & diver, and UNEXSO is great dive op. Sharks, reefs, wrecks, caves, killer snack bar/restaurant AND a great gift shop ! It's not to say that Stuart Cove's or Jim Abernathy's aren't, as they all provide a great experience. My long term advice, do all three :)

Also check out Stella Maris on Long Island. They shuttle you to the dive boat from the resort. It requires a flight from Nassau but the reefs we've seen are very nice.

Also Ocean Fox on Eleuthera. Check out their Facebook page. They don't do baited dives but sharks are seen on almost every dive. The latter might be best saved for a longer trip though. Big island, not many places to stay in the south where Ocean Fox dives.

I don't know why the reefs of the Bahamas have such a bad rap. Not as good as Bonaire but better than Jamaica in my opinion. So far, that's all I have to compare to but still, we love the Bahamas (Out Islands).

I'm heading down there this week for 10 days. Plan to spend a week with Blackbeard's and then dive with Stuart Cove. I'll try to remember to post a brief report here.

I'm not in favor of any of these encounter dives, but in the recent past, safety issues have been raised with Jim Abernethy's operation......"

From the Underwater Times.

"Before the Groh incident, (Markus Groh, a lawyer and avid diver from Austria, died from a shark bite while on a trip led by Abernethy).Abernethy had been warned in a letter which went to all dive companies operating in the Bahamas, to cease and desist "conducting open-water non-cage shark diving experiences with known species of potentially dangerous sharks, such as tiger sharks, bull sharks, hammerhead sharks, lemon sharks & mako sharks."

The letter, written by Neal Watson, president of the Bahamas Dive Association, went on to say "some dive operators have chosen to disregard standard safe-diving practices as it relates to interactions with tiger sharks and other potentially dangerous species of sharks, in various locations within the waters of The Islands of The Bahamas."
In an interview, Watson said "there's not a shark expert in the world that would put divers in the water, with chum, specifically to attract bull, tiger and hammerhead sharks, without a cage. That's putting people's lives at risk"
Watson said Abernethy's "cowboy" operation "refused to comply" with his cease and desist recommendation."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom