Dive Op Self Defense

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RikRaeder

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
A question for you operators out there...
How do you gauge a customer's experience on initial contact and decide what dives they are qualified to do with your company? What problems have you had, and how could they be avoided in the future?

I believe they have what is called a 'log book' which should be stamped and initialed by the dive shops and DM where and when one dives. Other than that I would think that you would have to belive what the diver tells you. I suppose that there are some leading questions which you could ask to get an idea if the guy is telling you the truth. A good reason to have them sign a waiver before they dive. In any case, I would imagine that I would be carrying a heavy insurance policy if I were in this business.

I would never trust just a log book. A true gauge of skill is to see them in the water. Some people seem to have all the answers but when they get in the water they have terrible skills.

I have never been asked for a log book.

There are many clues to diver experience and competence that are evident when a diver comes on board the boat. The most obvious would be their C card and log book, howeverthe fact that they have either one of these may not accurately reflect what the guy is going to look like in the water, and I have dived with DM's and even instuctors who are absolute wrecks underwater, and who I would not feel very comfortable leaving unsupervised on more advanced dives.
The less obviious clues don't guarantee anything either, but they do offer up a little more information. I don't claim that any of these are right all of the time, but it has been my experience that:
1. People who talk endlessly about how great they are at diving usually don't dive well. People that are very good divers generally just sit back and relax and wait for their turn to jump in and do their thing.
2 Equipment selection and wear. People who have alot of new fangled gismos and whatever are usually newer divers. Older, more seasoned divers usually tend to favor a more simplified approach. Equipment wear can also tell you a good bit. A diver that unpacks a BCD, or wetsuit or regulator model that just came out last year which is all salty and faded and scuffed probably does a fair amount of diving. Conversely divers that unpack brand new looking gear that's ten years old, or divers that unpack a complete ensemble of brand new gear usually don't do alot of diving.
3. Questions that divers ask can give you alot of imformation about their experience, so can the kind of stuff they seem to be concerned with.
There's a ton of stuff like this, and I'm sorry, but I don't have very long to write about it right now, I'll check back in this thread later on, but there's one thing I'd like to add befroe I run. The most accurate assesment that you can make of a divers in water skills and experience is to jump in the water with them and actually watch them dive.

Garrobo:
I believe they have what is called a 'log book' which should be stamped and initialed by the dive shops and DM where and when one dives.
The stamped and initialed part of that is not the case at all where I and my friends dive. We don't dive with DMs, and the places we dive don't have a stamp or anything. In fact, many of the places we dive have nothing at all but water to dive in. (One site had a dive shop within a mile, I think, but it had a sign saying it'd be open next summer.)

If you're not dealing with a large number of divers all at once, you could probably just engage the diver in conversation. Most divers will jump at a chance to talk about their dives (and getting them to stop may be the harder part). Usually, you can get an idea of their general level rather easily. Of course, if they're not very talkative, you may have to go to the old interrogation-mode interview ("How long have you been a diver? About how many dives do you have? When was your last dive?", etc), but that method tends to get people to clam up or become defensive (or belligerent).

Basically, the question is similar to that of how one evaluates an instabuddy's skills, except with more responsibility (and liability). Unfortunately, I don't seem to have a completely reliable method, myself.

as long as he has the right T-SHIRT and colour coordinated gear he MUST be ready for ANY kind of dive HE says he's capable of......

ClayJar:
("How long have you been a diver? About how many dives do you have? When was your last dive?", etc), but that method tends to get people to clam up or become defensive (or belligerent).
From what I've seen on charters, most people seem friendly enough and willing to talk openly.

I like watching the other divers setting up their gear. :eyebrow:

Rick Inman:
From what I've seen on charters, most people seem friendly enough and willing to talk openly.
Hehe, I'd agree... and note that the few guys who haven't been open have been absolutely *abysmal* divers. :D

Back
Top Bottom