Dive OP Recommendation on Koh Phi Phi (post tsunami)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vondo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm going to Koh Phi Phi for a week of diving and to do my AOW this February. I'm sure a lot has changed since the tsunami and would like to get an up-to-date recommendation on a dive shop and (if possible) an instructor.

I had planned to go with Hippo divers, but their Nitrox setup was destroyed by the tsunami, so now I am more open. From the Lonely Planet and Rough Guide books, I saw four ops as recommended:

Hippo
Phi Phi Divers
Visa
Viking

the second didn't respond to e-mails, the other three did. No one has nitrox anymore, which is too bad. (Of course, that is probably the least of their worries.

Thanks for any info out there,

Eric

Eric-

Will be interested in your report after you return. I spent several fantastic weeks on Phi Phi pre-tsunami. Wish I had been in a position to return there and help with the recovery.

I'll post a report when I get back. My going there has nothing to do with the tsunami, really. I wanted to dive the area and since they are mostly recovered, I figured it would be good to go and pump some $$$ into the economy there. As a side benefit, it might be less crowded.

The island lost a large number of people, which is very tragic. I figure the best I can do is not stay away.

I was on Phi Phi In Dec 2004 and went back in April of 2005. My last impressions were the Island needed a lot of work. I dont know how much work has been done on the last 6 months. But the island was very empty and people usually stayed in Phuket.

Let me know how it's. I love diving in Phi Phi Island.

I liked Koh Lanta as well. There is a nice wreck and Manta dives.

Safe Diving.

vondo:
I'll post a report when I get back. My going there has nothing to do with the tsunami, really. I wanted to dive the area and since they are mostly recovered, I figured it would be good to go and pump some $$$ into the economy there. As a side benefit, it might be less crowded.

The island lost a large number of people, which is very tragic. I figure the best I can do is not stay away.

Good thinking Vondo! Phi Phi really needs some help with their recovery.

Phi Phi Island was paradise island. Back in december I was only supposed to stay there for 3 days...3 days turned into 3 weeks... When I finally pushed myself to continue my trip north.

The little hut that I stayed there in that time was completed washed out after I saw the satellite pictures

I would definately go back there again. Most likely in 2006.

Hippo Divers.

I dove with PPK but they aint no more.

hey

i dived with barrakuda dive center when i was there after the tsunami. i dont know if they are still there but they are an excellent operation. the owner steve is great! try to get to hin daeng and hin muang while your there, these dives are fantastic! have fun, phi phi is a very special place, and it is probably the most peaceful and beautiful island i have ever been to.

-matt

They are still there. They are right on the main street through town. They had an annoying habit of asking everyone walking by if the they wanted to "get in some diving" or "have a life changing experience." It got a little old when you hear this three times a day.

Glad you had a good time. So did I. I wouldn't call Phi Phi peaceful, though. Lots of people in my opinion and it will only get worse as tourism returns to its previous levels.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom