Dive Medical Technician Programs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I have an interest in becoming a Dive Medical Technician and was curious about several programs that I'm looking into.

Hyperbarics International - Key Largo

Prime Time Training - Virginia

Hyperbaric Training Associates - Honduras

Divers Alert Network - Duke University

I am looking for information from those who have attended these programs OR who know someone that has OR have some knowledge through word of mouth. Anything you can provide would be appreciated. Particularly interested in the quality of instruction and facilities in particular.
Of course anyone with information on other worthwhile programs not mentioned above can feel free to comment as well. By way of background I'm a paramedic and Advanced Open Water Diver looking to continue my training as a Rescue Diver.
Thanks in advance for any help offered.

-BoonDoc91B-

Hi BoonDoc91B,

If he doesn't chime in, might want to PM Medical Moderator Duke Dive Medicine.

Regards,

DocVikingo

I can highly recommend Rutkowski's course down in Key Largo.

Congrats on pursuing this challenging field. I wish you best of luck where ever you go. Please report back where you decide to go.

. . .I am looking for information from those who have attended these programs OR who know someone that has OR have some knowledge through word of mouth. Anything you can provide would be appreciated. Particularly interested in the quality of instruction and facilities in particular.
Of course anyone with information on other worthwhile programs not mentioned above can feel free to comment as well. By way of background I'm a paramedic and Advanced Open Water Diver looking to continue my training as a Rescue Diver.
Thanks in advance for any help offered.

-BoonDoc91B-
Marine Diving Technology: Degrees & Certificates - Santa Barbara City College
http://www.sbcc.edu/catalog/2011_2012/Marine Diving Technologies.pdf

USC Catalina Hyperbaric Chamber Educational Programs

Hi BoonDoc,

The National Board of Diving and Hyperbaric Medical Technicians (NBDHMT) is the recognized issuing authority for diver medic certifications in the U.S. Their website, linked here, lists all of the DMT courses that they have approved. Each of these programs is required to follow the curriculum established by the NBDHMT and instructors are individually approved, so no matter which course you take, you're going to get essentially the same material.

The only one I have any personal knowledge of is the DAN course because some of our people help teach it and a lot of the inside tender hands-on skills are done in one of our chambers. I'll admit to some personal bias, but it's an excellent course.

You'll also want to look at how you plan on applying the certification before you select a course. If your goal is to be an offshore commercial diver medic, you'll want to consider one of the commercial diving schools that has a diver medic curriculum like Santa Barbara City College (linked above by Kevin), National University in San Diego, or the Commercial Diving Academy in Florida.

Best regards,
DDM

Just wanted to thank everyone who responded. The information you've provided has definitely cleared the air and made my decision that much easier. I will be happy to report on my decision, progress and outcome right here. Looking forward to increasing my knowledge of diving and dive physiology while also enhancing my ability to assist my fellow divers.

-BoonDoc91B-

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom