Dive masters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Do any of you divers have any idea what the Dive masters are paid to take us Diving.And what is a good tip.

We, my wife and I just came back from a cruise that went to cocumel and dove with Sand Dollar. the dive masters or guides were just great, he showed us alot of cool hiding spots that we would have never seen. Because of the cool guidance we gave the "boat" a $30.00 dollar tip because they deserved it. But not sure how much they make per trip or hour.

Do any of you divers have any idea what the Dive masters are paid to take us Diving.And what is a good tip.

in places like Cozumel, many DMs only work for tips. Some dive ops pay a standard fee per day or per diver, but the majority of their income is from the tips. Some other places we have been DMs on boats are actually all instructors and paid a salary, but it is minimal and tips are always good.

a good rule of thumb is $5 per tank for each diver. More if they provide great-exceptional service. The ONLY way I would tip less is if they were unsafe or really rude. I would also address those issue to the dive op when we got back to the dock though.

We always tipped more as we had a junior diver with us plus they always found us great stuff to photograph.

May I say that I've been a dive operator in Cozumel for 30 years and don't know or have ever heard of a single divemaster who would take a trip out on mere speculation of perhaps getting tips?
Divemasters, to my knowledge all have to get paid to take a trip out.
Anyone willing to take a trip out on mere speculation fo tips would have to be the last choice and for some reason be at the bottom of the list.
If a divemaster said he works for tips only - I would figure it was to try and increase the amount of the tip, and I've seen some rather creative ways of trying to increase tips over the years.
I was surprised to see that posted. If you have a good divemaster and want to hang on to him, you have to pay him rather than exploit him. My answer to tips is that we normally leave 10% at a restaurant for being served; and divemasters do a lot more for us - in my opinion - than most food servers whom we normally tip at least 10 percent.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom