Dive Master swim requirements

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

k4man

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
So, after 11 years of recreational diving, I'm considering the plunge :D into the professional side by beginning the dive master training. I see that there are requirements such as 15 minute float/tread, a 400m swim/tow and a 800m snorkel swim.

Here's the question...are the two swims (400 & 800) timed?? If so, does someone have the specific required times you could share?? At 42 yrs of age, I feel comfortable with most skills, but the physical stuff at least has me wondering about the challenge!!

Thanks.
Kevin :14:

They are timed and scored, but if you do well enough on the other skills, all you have to do is finish the swims and not worry about your times.

Check your PM.

dartref:
but if you do well enough on the other skills, all you have to do is finish the swims and not worry about your times.

Yikes! Hopefully you find an instructor who doesn't think mediocre is good enough!

alcina:
Yikes! Hopefully you find an instructor who doesn't think mediocre is good enough!
I agree, but I also know there are people out there who consider entering the program and are scared away by thinking they have to finish the swiming portions as though they are entering an Olympic qualifying meet. It was always presented to me that if you do very well on the easier tasks, you don't have to worry as much about the more difficult tasks. Then when they go out there relaxed, they tend to do just fine anyway.

If you are going for your DM course you are surely thinking of buying the instructor manual. Under DM section all the details are provided. if I remember correctly ( I will later check my manual).
400 m swim any style - < 6 min 4 points 6-8 min 3 points
800 m snorkel - <10 min 4 points < 14 min 3 points

alcina:
It's not up to the instructor - PADI sets the standards.

well, it's up to the instructor to set the standard of the attitude...
I think that's what Alcina meant...

k4man:
So, after 11 years of recreational diving, I'm considering the plunge :D into the professional side by beginning the dive master training. I see that there are requirements such as 15 minute float/tread, a 400m swim/tow and a 800m snorkel swim.

Here's the question...are the two swims (400 & 800) timed?? If so, does someone have the specific required times you could share?? At 42 yrs of age, I feel comfortable with most skills, but the physical stuff at least has me wondering about the challenge!!

Thanks.
Kevin :14:

Scoring:

400 yard swim:
Less than 6 minutes - 5 points
6-8 minutes - 4 points
8-10 minutes - 3 points
10-12 minutes - 2 points
more than 12 minutes - 1 point

800 yard snorkle swim
Less than 13 minutes - 5 points
13-15 minutes - 4 points
15-17 minutes - 3 points
17-19 minutes - 2 points
more than 19 minutes - 1 point

15 minute tread
Hands out last 2 minutes - 5 points
Hands not out last 2 minues - 3 points
Touched bottom no more than twice - 1 point

100 yards tired diver tow
Less than 2 minutes - 5 points
2-3 minutes - 4 points
3-4 minutes - 3 points
4-5 minutes - 2 points
more than 5 minutes - 1 point

You need to score 12 points total.

Thank GOD I've got bioprene! I can float around for that head float all day with my hands in the air like I'm in a church chorus line! Swimming.. no problem.. the Speedo DPV keeps me cut and trim in the water like a seal... I just loathe doing those kind of swims in pools where the reverberating waves just make the pool a bouncing echo though, I wonder if we could do it in a lake or off the beach. Open water swimming is good :D

Thanks for all the responses. It looks like I need to be off to the local YMCA pool to check my times.

Kevin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom